Sanding disks fly off Bosch orbital sander

My Bosch PEX 220 A Orbital sander is (was) wonderful, but now the disks don't seem to 'stick' as well as they did and within a few seconds they just fly off.

The sanding plate seems ok, but I gave it a scrub with a wire brush to remove any ingrained crud, but to no avail.

Ex MOT-tester/mechanic neighbour showed me his air-tool orbital sander that he uses for car body repairs and the disks on that stick like shit to a blanket (as I'm sure my Bosch disks used to).

Has anyone had this problem ?. Would a new sanding plate solve the problem ?. Trouble is knowing Bosch it would cost as much as a complete new sander.

P/N 2 608 601 175

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Would a new sanding plate

Yes, there's nothing else to go wrong Trouble is knowing Bosch it would

Reply to
nothanks

Alternatively you could try removing the velcro with a hot air gun and then sticking-on some new velcro. Once fixed, use a pad saver to avoid having to do it again.

Reply to
nothanks

Usual reason is that you have cooked the Velcro through using too much pressure.

Reply to
newshound

If you press down too hard whilst sanding the pad gets hot and can destroy the velro surface on the tool

For around £10 (incl postage) I just replaced the pad on my orbital sander.

I purchased one of these two years ago (mine came in red at the time) and has seen good service since. The sandpaper to tool pad bond is strong and possibly stronger than the glue holding the replacement pad to the tool so care has to be taken to carefully peel the old sandpaper pads to remove them rather than just trying to rip them off.

I had to sand down what was left on the tool to get flat surface. Stuck the new verco pad on and trimmed the overhang with scissors.

Reply to
alan_m

bosh are shit anyway As are all velcro attached sanders

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I might give that a go. A complete Bosch sanding disk seems to be about £22 on Amazon. The site you have linked to is in Germany though, so that means expensive postage and possible Brexit aggro.

Reply to
Andrew

Yup it happens to all of them in the end.

Yup

Get some "pad savers" from Axminster - these are interface pads that you stick onto the base of the sander, and the paper then onto it. So if anything wears out it is the interface pad, which is much cheaper to replace.

(you can also get padded ones, to make sanding curved surfaces easier)

Reply to
John Rumm

I have that exact model, which had the same problem. I bought a new sanding plate (about a tenner from ebay). The new one was noticeably rougher than the old one (which came with the sander when I bought it secondhand).

I can't say it's perfect but it definitely helped. The other thing was using it to sand flat things was fine, but edges where there was uneven pressure was where it would tend to fly off. That probably wants a different kind of sander.

<clickety click> ah, it was £13.88 two years ago. Now it's £15:
looks like clones start at about £6.

I should probably try it with Bosch sanding discs, rather than Toolstation specials. They might stick better.

That part number seems to be a grinding disc, not a rubber pad?

Theo

Reply to
Theo

The PEX 200 is a reasonable entry level RoS - although a bit tall for my liking.

Not been my experience, and more to the point I am not aware of any RoS that don't use Velcro...

Reply to
John Rumm

Another thing is how old are the discs and where were they stored, the glue stuff goes tacky and greasy over time. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

What glue?

(RoS disks are Velcro backed)

Reply to
John Rumm

I don't use my Orbital Velcro sander very often now so I just stick disc on with hot glue gun

-
Reply to
Mark