bosch pex400 random orbital sander: changing base plate?

Hello,

I have bought a new base plate for my sander because the discs kept falling off the old one. I cannot get the old plate off. The instruction booklet says to unscrew the screw in the centre of the plate with the allen key provided. Is there not a spindle lock, like you find on an angle grinder?

This is the first time I have tried to remove the base plate and the screw was stuck rigid to begin with. I finally managed to loosen it but I wonder if it is cross threaded? It turns without getting any looser and clicks as it turns around.

Is there any cure for this or will I have to send it back to Bosch?

Thanks.

Reply to
Stephen

You need to hold the base plate firm against the sander. It has lugs that stop it slipping.

BTW I have discovered that scrubbing a clogged plate with a scrubbing brush does restore the grip to some extent. I think they get clogged with fine dust.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan