Convector Heater Settings

I got a Delonghi electric convector heater that has a thermostat adjuster which I set so that the room is about 21 degrees C.

It also has a power output selector that offers 4 heat options: Min, Med, Max, Max with fan.

Does it matter which of these power outputs I select since the heater will always switch itself off when the room temperature has reached the level as dictated by the thermostat.

Any advice on what would be the most cost effective setting?

Ed

Reply to
Ed

extra power makes things warm up faster, that's all.

The lower the power the more likely it is you can achieve a comfortable

*even* temperature at a _lower_ setting.

fans are useful to stir air around its true. Helps get it even.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So perhaps the max/fan output setting might be best to stir the heat about and ensure that the whole of the room get up to the temperature as set by the thermostat rather that a warm localised area about the heater region?

Ed

Reply to
Ed

It will bring the room up faster and give more of an "instant warmth" effect. Once up to temperature it shouldn't make any difference which setting you use assuming that the lower power ones have enough power to replace the heat faster than it is being lost.

Whats the difference in cost between:

3kW for 20 mins or 1kW for 60 mins

Nothing, both are 1kWhr of energy consumed. The latter may give better comfort as the room temperature will vary less. So on that basis I'd use the lowest setting consistent with maintaining the room temperature.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

One should not forget the Noise. Fans are good, but usually not silent. Not a cost issue, but then not all things are governed by cost. R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Noise is not a problem. This Delonghi heater is whisper quiet even wif the fan.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

lower setting: longer warm up times, more fan noise, more even temp distribution in the room, slightly less thermostat hysteresis, possible to use lower rated extension lead or run more appliances without overloading anything.

NT

Reply to
NT

I brought a timer for mine which I thought was quiet, but at night I can here it ticking so had to get an electronic one. I would have thought even a whispering fans might be too loud in the bedroom, especially as you'll probably be listing to it cycle off-on, those sort of quiet on-off things wake me up.

Reply to
whisky-dave