Sanding Discs - Which ones?

I need to buy some sanding discs. (I have a Bosch random orbital sander - as recommended here.)
Having a look around the usual suspects, I found (prices very approximate, grits may vary!):
Hermes 125mm Disc Velcro Backed Multi-Hole Abrasive at around 50p each <http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Hermes-125mm-Disc-Velcro-Backed-Multi-Hole-Abrasive-655748.htm
Self Adhesive Abrasive Discs 125mm at around 26p each http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Hermes-Self-Adhesive-Abrasive-Discs-125mm-23196.htm
Bosch Velcro Backed Abrasive Discs 125mm (8 Hole) at around 60p each <http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Bosch-Velcro-Backed-Abrasive-Discs-125mm -(8-Hole)-19967.htm>
Titan Sanding Discs Punched 120 Grit 125mm Pack of 10 at around 30p each <http://screwfix.com/prods/77373/Abrasives/Sanding-Discs/125mm-Alox-Discs/Titan-Sanding-Discs-Punched-120-Grit-125mm-Pack-of-10
Norton Sanding Grip Disc 125mm 120 Grit Pack of 10 at around 45p each <http://screwfix.com/prods/62644/Abrasives/Sanding-Discs/125mm-Alox-Discs/Norton-Sanding-Grip-Disc-125mm-120-Grit-Pack-of-10
Bah - I am getting confused by the value/quality equations. OK - so not a fortune to be saved, but I hate discs that turn a few times before being clogged up. And I hate paying twice as much for no advantage.
Any opinions? What are the special merits of the more expensive ones? (Yes - I have read the descriptions but they are not that convincing. Real experience is what I want to hear.) I don't have particularly demanding uses - just paint preparation, ordinary wood, etc.
--
Rod

Alluminium Oxide disc reduces clogging,however they're more expensive disc.
Lidl sold packs of 20 last week,various grades and type at 2.99 and is worth buying 3 packs.

Only 3? I bought 10. ;-)
--
*What hair colour do they put on the driver's license of a bald man? *

London SW

Well ok,as any as you think is worth while.
I bought 12 packs. :-P after all they're cheaper than the sheds ludicrus prices.
George wrote:

Before bulk buying, remember to get ones with the right number of holes! DAMHIKT!
Bob
Bob Minchin wrote:

Appreciated - but nearest Lidl is too far to be worth going specially (even if it was last week IYSWIM).
--
Rod

Bob Minchin wrote:

I made up a handy little jig a while ago for sanding discs, saw it in a woodworking mag.
Essencially a piece of scrap 18mm ply about 7" x 7". Place sanding disc on top & mark holes.
Drill & fix short dowels into holes.
In use, you place a 240 grit, then 120, then 80, then 60 disc over the dowels. Just pushing the base of the ROS over the dowels lines the disc up perfectly. When initial sanding with 60 grit is finished, remove disc, push sander down over dowels & pick up 80 grit disc etc.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
The Medway Handyman wrote:

I had been vaguely thinking about a simplistic single-sheet/disc version. But you have played trumps with that much better and more comprehensive idea. Must make one. Thanks.
Do you find you needed to populate all the holes with dowels or would it work with, say, two or four?
--
Rod

Rod wrote:

Alas not my idea, saw it in a magazine.

I think I made mine with all the holes, but four should work. If you take a little care making it up the holes and the edge line up perfectly
I'll dig mine out later & post a picky.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Good ide that batman. :-)
So basically we can improve that design a little by making... A holding board for three or four different grades of disc and also the short dowl jig disc placer The dowls for holding the disc in different grades will be about 5" long and place the different discs over the dowls. :-) Sorta like a rack for the disc.

take
and
Gawd! forgot my invention which was similair to this.
Basically I routed out a hole the size of the sanding disc pad(used it a a guide for size)in a piece of MDFand then you place disc in hole and put sander in hole and hey presto perfectly aligned disc.
The Medway Handyman wrote:

It was just 4 dowels
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/davidlang_photos/sandything001.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/davidlang_photos/sandything002.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/davidlang_photos/ferthems002.jpg
Last one is OT, cos I'm a proud Dad :-)
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Them pegs look a little high,placing my sander over them wouldn't be able to pick the disc up.
George wrote:

Thanks Mr Medway! Looks eminently achievable - once I get some suitable dowel.
You look a bit younger than I expected. :-)
George, depends how many discs you have stacked up, doesn't it? :-)
--
Rod

Well the penny dropped :-) but on saying that I don't know how many MH can pick up before having to stack it up again?
Rod wrote:

Thats my daughter - twit!
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
The Medway Handyman wrote:

What's she doing in the left hand seat?
Dave

Should you not have made some attempt at a smiley or something there ?
--
geoff

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Oh yes. :-) Quite close to a swashplate.
--
Rod

Rod wrote:

<http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Hermes-125mm-Disc-Velcro-Backed-Multi-Hole-Abrasive-655748.htm
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Hermes-Self-Adhesive-Abrasive-Discs-125mm-23196.htm
<http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Bosch-Velcro-Backed-Abrasive-Discs-125mm -(8-Hole)-19967.htm>
<http://screwfix.com/prods/77373/Abrasives/Sanding-Discs/125mm-Alox-Discs/Titan-Sanding-Discs-Punched-120-Grit-125mm-Pack-of-10
<http://screwfix.com/prods/62644/Abrasives/Sanding-Discs/125mm-Alox-Discs/Norton-Sanding-Grip-Disc-125mm-120-Grit-Pack-of-10
I've used the Screwfix ones (now branded Titan) pretty extensively on wood and not had a problem, they seem to last OK.
Bosch don't make sanding discs AFAIK just stick their name on them.
Norton are the big brand name & mid priced, buy a pack & give them a try.
--
David Lang