"salvage" conservatory

Hi, I may (or may not) be able to get hold of some double glazed units fairly cheap, probably old upvc windows. Is there any reason why I can't use these to "knock-up" a conservatory? I'm not sure how I'd make up the frame (steel posts?) or do the roof (polycarb with the upvc edging stuff?)

Somebody must have thought about this before?! Conservatory companies' prices seem to be v high.

Reply to
adder

We've thought about it.

We have an assortment of dg windows round the back ...

It might not be pretty but it will be interesting!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yep, recovered mainly single glazed windows and french doors (all wood not that matters) frame built from recovered 4x2's on recovered brick base. Floor is teak decking (on more 4x2's and brick piers) recovered from a damaged pontoon. Lining is recovered 1/2 inch chip board with 4 inch poly batts in the frame. Cladding is cheap softwood (its lasted 10 years and needs a few lengths replacing now) and recovered ali angle to protect the corners. Roof was new twin wall on new 4x2's as I couldn't find any recovery ones long enough. All in cost, including a bricklayer and everything else was under 500 quid. He went on to build a similar one using plastic profiles, but again over a wooden frame. Both move with the ground, rather than damaging the wall like a ridgid steel frame can!

Niel.

Reply to
Badger

That's very encouraging, thanks.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No prob's, I could take some pic's if you want, but a GWR green wooden conservatory isn't anything special really...

Niel.

Reply to
Badger

Don't know where you are but many councils planning people don't allow polycarb roofs anymore.

Reply to
G&M

"Badger" wrote ... | a GWR green wooden conservatory

Ah, the 'railway surplus paint' episode - one of my fave OF&Hs

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Our next door neighbour's house, shed, garage, fencing, gutters, fall pipes ... everything ... is Yorkshire Water green. He built the shed when he retired. It houses paint.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Mines actually painted with a fence/shed paint that about matches it, or l-r bronze green (well one shade of the many of it) in the right light.

Niel, uk-lro lister....

Reply to
Badger

Am I alone in not understanding that?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Probably not, bad day...

Reply to
Badger

"Mary Fisher" wrote | "Badger" wrote | > Mines actually painted with a fence/shed paint that about matches | > it, or l-r bronze green (well one shade of the many of it) in the | > right light. | > Niel, uk-lro lister.... | Am I alone in not understanding that?

I'm guessing Land-Rovers. (Or Land Rovers, for those post-SeriesIIA or whenever they dropped the hyphen.)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Oh, sorry, it was nothing personal. I don't always catch on immediately :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yep, the original international l-r owners e-mail list uk spin off.

Reply to
Badger

Ah! Thanks, Owain. Might have known you'd be the Oracle! Such technology never came into my pretty little head :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Mine would be three sided & I'm thinking now about how I would make the frame rigid enough. I'm planning on the three sides being full length glass panels more or less. Does all the rigidity come from the roof?

Reply to
adder

No, the framing carries std. window frames which add to the rigidity, but allows the whole thing to move as well. If ours was rigid it'd pulled the wall down or broken by now as one corner rises and falls by several inches during the year, due to the oak trees..... Be wary of full length glass, there are specific safety requirements which means a lot more expense, thats why the bottom of ours is wooden, not glass, also hides the "stuff" stored in it!

Niel.

Reply to
Badger