Safety standards for toys

When the roadmen came along with their horse-drawn tar boiler our mams used to hold us over it because the fumes were supposed to strengthen our lungs. And when the roadmen had gone we used to pick up bits of solidified tar and chew them.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

This is DIY, not manufacturing. Who can say who made a particular item?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

I think we've become so used to a regimented life with everything decided by higher powers that we've lost any sense of reality and individual responsibility. You can't bake cakes and sell them at the church fayre in case you poison half the village. You can't rent bikes to kids at the fayre in case they fall off. You can't let kids pet farm animals in case they get dreaded lurgi. Bloody ridiculous.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

No, because you don't know who your children are, never mind your grandchildren.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

The owner, when pushed to it in court.

Daughter had a TY80 mini trials bike when she was about 10 and it was very difficult to find places for her to ride it, not because people / land owners were worried about what damage she might do to the land (it was a trials bike, not a motocrosser so more about ups and downs than speed and jumps) but us suing them if she got caught up in some barbed wire or hit a obscured tree stump ... even if we offered to sign a disclaimer sating we would take full responsibility (and I'm not sure you can do that in any case).

There are loads of jobs I've not taken on, simply because I didn't want to be put in the position of responsibility for doing something that could end up being dangerous for others, even if the person I was doing it for was ok themselves.

You fix their TV but with the proviso the wall mount fixings are now unreliable (but it isn't an issue because they are using the stand). Then they give the TV to their friend and the TV falls off the wall and kills their kid. Do you think the person you fixed the TV for would take responsibility, if it was looked into and found to have been 'tampered with'?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I still smell any tarry biolers I pass .......

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

yes licking lead dulls the brain indeed but not as badly as the century's layers of paint that used to fall off buildings in Edinburgh and clbber you .....

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

that is where the 100mm sphere was used in the building regs to stop this happening......

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

I had a crossbow because of willian tell on the telly in the 50's

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

was that the Pontypandy branch ?

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

that was a great thread....quality

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

Some one made, in the mid '70's, with permission of parents and school, a full sized practical crossbow in wood work/metal work at secondary school. When it was ready for a test firing we all went out onto the playing field to watch. The bolt went beyond a hedge a several hundred yards away...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I agree with most of that but don't see how it's relevant to this discussion. The safety specs are written by a bunch of experts (!) and based on things that have caused problems in the past, as well as those that fall into the "bleedin' obvious" category. Like most of us here I think I'm unusually gifted in the common sense department (not to mention other departments ;-) ) but I know there are things I don't know, and that's where a document like the EN is useful. If you think you know everything then I guess you don't need reference documents and you're either a very lucky chap or very foolish.

Reply to
nothanks

My friend made a ball bearing cannon - steel tube on a block with a banger contents inside it. A quite snug fitting ball bearing was tamped on top and some Jetex fuse was inserted into a breech hole. We aimed it at the cast metal sign on the side of a tennis court, that ended up with a neat 1/4" hole in it. It was never fired again...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I was thinking about sharp edged tinplate toys. :-)

Reply to
nightjar

Starting pistol blank cartridges were readily available when I was 15.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It's a big leap from my position (which could be stated as 'within the narrow confines of this particular DIY job use your own knowledge and experience') to your misrepresentation of my attitude ('you think you know everything')

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

For some reason we used to sing,

"Come away come with William Tell, Come away come away to shit like hell!"

And also

"I'm Popeye the sailor man, I live in a caravan, There's room in the middle For Popeye to piddle I'm Popeye the sailor man."

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Or simply hit with a hammer at an incorrect angle the head of the pin of a cable clip . Chances are it will break off and fly. It has a lot of energy and will bury itself in the flesh of any unfortunate passer-by. Always wear safety glasses.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Apologies, I was hinting at the need to recognise that we all have unknown unknowns as well as a big box of known knowns and known unknowns- no offense was intended.

Reply to
nothanks