Safety mods to an electric lamp bought overseas?

It looks to me like there are 3 screws on the base to hold the shade in place.

Reply to
ARW

put everything apart from the shade in a skip and start again with fresh ingredients

Reply to
Phil L

Maybe that was their function in a previous life, before being recycled?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I was hoping that the OP might say if they do or do not do that;-)

Reply to
ARW

Yeah - managed 12 dives in 4 days

that was enough

Reply to
geoff

:) Yes, whether or not they related to a previous life, they do retain the shade in place. They don't screw to the shade, but with the shade in position you drive the screws in and they protrude inside the egg, preventing the shade from being lifted off. That aspect of the lamp (the only aspect?!) actually works fine.

Reply to
Lobster

A needle file would probably work better You could possible fit a rubber grommet

Reply to
alan

I have a feeling that the metal plate and the shade were infact made to be with each other. Possibly as a table lamp with a ceramic base.

Reply to
ARW

Try putting "12v led lightbulbs edison screw" into google?

Reply to
ARW

Use it with an isolating transformer; then you won't need an earth.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

An RCD would give at least as good protection imho, and is far cheaper and easier. But running it LV makes good sense.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

230V AC is classed as low voltage:-)
Reply to
ARW

On Sunday 21 April 2013 23:03 snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote in uk.d-i-y:

And RCD is not an adequate substitute for an earth in a Class I appliance (which this clearly is)...

Reply to
Tim Watts