safe with key drop

Christian McArdle wrote: NT:

so you cant even get your angle grinder to open the safe. So you need to ensure another no-security point of entry. That or you have more failth in cheap electronics than I do.

heh. Well as long as you dont have anything valuable.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

There is normally a manual key override. The manual key can be hidden somewhere safe, but won't be available for day to day use.

I just want to take "reasonable care" so the car insurance pays out. I may get a separate higher security fire safe for documents.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

How about a "pole proof" box on the back of your door, behind letter box to catch the post.

Reply to
xscope

Racist ;-)

HLAH

Fire safes arent security safes, but theyre made to look like them to increase sales. If youve got a metal filing cabinet its simple to make a basic fire safe yourself.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I have read the replies with interest (since they are answering your question) but don't really see a problem - don't your trousers have pockets? My keys stay in the pair of trouser/jeans I am wearing at the time and when changing them I am not trying to carry shopping/baby etc.

Geo

Reply to
Geo

If you mounted the safe on its side so the door dropped down when open you could easily leave it open when empty and just slam it shut when you'd slung your keys in there.

It's not exactly what you were after, and of course you'd need his & hers safes, but it's an off-the-shelf solution.

The DIY solution would be to make up (or get a metalworker to make) a waterwheel/turnpike type arrangement on the top of a safe (with a hole cut in its roof) for you to drop your keys in but prevent Burglar Bill from fishing them out.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Or just dump the keys further into the house?

Granted, I don't tend to be carrying a baby but if I've got shopping it's normally going to the kitchen so I can drop keys on the sideboard.

Be a bloody good burglar can fish them out from there through the letter box, and if someone breaks in I'm not convinced I want to be asked where my keys are.

John

Reply to
john.sabine

I'm worried about fire AND security. There's no problem finding a unit that does both.

Obviously, fire safes with chutes are harder to come by. ;-)

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle