Bathroom Plastering

I have a Bathroom and a wet room that I am refurbishing.

I am down to the old Plasterwork and and down to the "bonding" coat on another, after removing the tiles etc.

I am going to tile from floor to cieling in both rooms and would need some guidance on how to prepare the walls. The Tiler is asking me to Plaster/Skim throughout using standard PVA and then skim over? I want to ensure the tiles fit perfectly as well as give me some good water proofness.

What products should I buy for the Plasterer. Plasterer is open to suggestions he says just buy plaster from the B&Q or Wickes?

Any guidance? and where I can buy these with free and quick delivery? I would prrbably need about 5 bags and some PVA?

Thanks Yaz

Reply to
Yaz

A bit odd. I wouldn't bother with a skim if I was tiling over, provided the wall is approximately flat. The skim would just give an alternative point of failure. A few holes don't matter either, as they will be filled with adhesive.

If it was to be replastered, I would probably use sand/cement render, which is waterproof and cheap.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Don't worry about waterproofing in tiled walls. You don't need it.

To be honest, its often easier to plasterbaord walls that are to be tiled - flat suraface immediately

Otherwise use battens and a level to set up a 'frame' that you can plaster to..suface finish is not critical on tiles - but flatness is..and use just bonding plaster leveled off to the battens. Remove the battens and fill the gaps.

Ive never found sealing to be necessary, but slapping thinned PVA on will do no harm.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why can't the plasterer buy the products? We had our bathroom skimmed before retiling and the plasterer sorted everything.

Isn't it usual for plasterers to come with their own supplies, if required?

Reply to
Paul Andrews

Well at least he can't complain that you bought crap products if he was responsible for buying them .

Stuart .

Reply to
Stuart

It sounds very odd to me that he's "open to suggestions" - what sort of plasterer is this? I've yet to come across one who's not extremely fussy about exactly what type and brand of plaster he uses, depending on the application.

David

Reply to
Lobster