Sacraficial ...

Precisely. All the 'social legislation' is complete s**te.

Every single disabled person I know who needs a wheelchair has spent tens of thousands modifying their house so they can actually use them despite them being built to the latest regs, simply because there is no one size fits all disability.

Instead of requiring all builds to be to a given standard it would actually be far more useful if there was a hypothecated tax on new builds that went to a fund to be handed out to the disabled to adapt their residence of choice.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
<snip>

As long as you can allow for all the vans (on say a park) to float whilst maintaining their positions sufficiently to avoid contact with each other and against any debris that may be swept towards them, it sounds like a good plan.

The floor height of most static vans are about the depth of a pontoon in any case so it shouldn't affect much if they were pushed into a 'Duck' like thing and the front sealed up. ;-)

I'm guessing many d-i-y houseboats are formed that way. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Floating ones as in that Grand Designs?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

people become disabled as they get old, lack of wheelchair access is a real & mostly unnecessary problem. But it still beats no houses. Regs could include exception situations. A ramp on a block of flats cuts cost per unit a lot.

I think PP should not be given to development plans that will obviously flood living areas. There are ways to avoid the problem, and no sensible reason to build houses that way.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I'd suggest that we scrap most of the requirements of part M, but provide adequate funds for providing the adaptations that people need. No two people with disabilities will have the same need, so why try and cater for them all with prescriptive rules?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

On a Disabilty Awareness course it was suggested that less than 10% of disabled people need a wheelchair. Most disabilites aren't visible.

Reply to
charles

That is of course sensible, but politics under Blair wasn't about sense, it was about emotion. There isn't much virtuye signalling legislation in that is there?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indeed. I once asked my BI why sockets had to be so high off the floor 'so that people in wheelchairs and the old cam reach them' "So how do they change a light bulb then, and how many more will trip over the flex to their vacuum cleaners?"

None of it makes a deal of sense. Its all just virtue signalling. Only a decent corridor width made sense. And stair dimensions.

my wheelchair bound friends could easily make the 1 inch step up from a paving slab to the threshold, but for the BI I built a detachable wooden ramp

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher