Ryobi Lithium batteries

Has anyone got any experience of Ryobi (or other brand) lithium batteries?

I have several of their One+ tools, which all share the same batteries. I have 5x Ni-Cads upto about 6 years old, still working fine. Last October I bought 2x 1.4aH Lithium batteries and a suitable charger from my local Screwfix trade counter. These didn't work at all and were returned for replacement. The replacements worked OK for around 6 months then gave up = charger claims to charge them, but nothing when attached to tool - not even slow running. Today I finally got around to returning them to Screwfix, and after sucking of teeth and waiting for managers, then phoning head office they finally agreed to replace them... but don't have any in stock - I now have to return tomorrow to collect them.

All this doesn't inspire confidence in Lithium power tool batteries. Has anyone else had issues with Lithium batteries? It could just be a bad batch but it makes me wonder if I'll be back in the same situation in 6 months, when the warranty expires!

It is possible the issue is with the charger instead, however it charges Ni-Cads without issue. (It's one of their 6 slot ones). None of my other Ryobi chargers support Lithium batteries so I can't prove it!

Reply to
Alan Deane

Only one I have is the lovely little Makita impact screwdriver. Several years old now and despite heavy DIY use, still fine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Got a Lidl/Aldi Li powered screw driver. Sort of worked but the moment you asked it to really apply even moderate torque to a screw the battery protection would kick in. The after a month or so of not being used it had self discharged and wouldn't charge. Took it back for a refund.

Recelled the ancient B&D screwdriver instead with NiMH, they retain charge pretty well and it can apply some decent torque with out tripping out.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I too am lucky enough to have the little 7.2v Makita impact driver - my favourite power tool - recently got some Heller quick-bit wood bits to fit it. The batteries have been very good and lasted well.

Just acquired a Stihl cordless grass trimmer from their cordless power system range. The lithium battery is a 2.2Ah lump, weighing in at

1.1kg which lasts for about 30 minutes on full charge. Have not had it long enough to comment on longevity.

-- rbel

Reply to
rbel

Ryobi aren't the best quality and I'd be surprised if their batteries were. However, it's possible the charger might be under or overcharging them - Lithium are quite particular about that. If slightly under, fine; slightly or a lot over, burn your house down.

What I'd do is get a decent and relatively cheap charger from Hobby King. Lithium batteries are dead common in the model world and chargers for them come in all shapes and capacities. You'd need to make up an adapter, but not really a biggy. It also leaves the way open to making up your own battery pack from better /safer Lithium chemistry, like LiMn or perhaps LiFePo.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I've never ever found this a problem.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Lithium cells need more sophisticated controls to charge safely, and also many include the ability to remember failed charge attempts etc, and if certain thresholds are reached then enter a lock out state. So you will find various stories of people having apparently new cells refuse to charge etc. However, when working they normally perform well.

Reply to
John Rumm