Runners for flat shelving?

I'm contemplating an alternative solution to shelving out the fireplace.

Instead of holes and pegs I could fix runners for shelves. This would allow me to easily (?) move components in and out to get at the wiring. If they were in a cabinet or rack I might have access directly from the rear but inside a chimney I would need to slide them forward to do/change the wiring.

So - any pointers to which shelf runners (a Google friendly description) which would be good for the job?

Googling for shelf runners seems to turn up drawer runners which seem to rely on a routed slot in the carcase of the drawer to give them strength.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

In message , David writes

what you mean the sort that go underneath the drawer as well?

You can get ones that just screw to the side of the shelf/drawer.

eg. some on this link

Reply to
Chris French

I think I may have found some which will do

I just need to check how far out they pull.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Your only problems with runners is how plumb and straight are the sides of your fireplace opening. Any deviation and you will find the runners binding . My advice is to line the sides with sheet material packing it out to get the new sides vertical and parallel to one another.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Lot simpler to just not fix the shelves to the supports, then you can slide them or lift them out any time

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I got the impression that the OP was thinking about leaving the equipment on the shelves whilst sliding them out. Otherwise yes.

Not convinced it's worth the effort, given how often it would likely be used. Will loose adjustability as well.

Reply to
Chris French

However on the upside I can slide several shelves out at once to wrangle all the interconnect and other wiring tangles.

I have Hi-Fi cupboards with just shelves and getting the kit out and back in again without having anything topple is sometimes quite tricky.

Bit like 19" racking and servers.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I used the vertical U section pieces in this type of shelving as horizontal channels for wooden shelving

The shelf just slides forward to remove. The wooden fascia on the front of the shelf is slightly wider than the shelf to hide most of the U section and gap when viewed from the front.

Reply to
alan_m

Thanks - a very interesting approach.

I didn't really grasp what you were describing until I saw the pictures.

What thickness are the shelves?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Drawer runners don't need a routed slot - you can face mount them just as well. The reason for the slot is more about losing some of the thickness of the runner.

However you can get under mount drawer runners that are designed to sit on the bottom corner of a drawer. Those would probably suit your needs better.

Reply to
John Rumm

18mm
Reply to
alan_m

Yes. They're not the most robust IMLE, but for a hifi that should be fine.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Ideally you need some way of moving the whole stack in or out together and letting you get at the interconnects as well. Perhaps you need a rack on runners and a lazy Susan bearing ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Having investigated soot doors to provide access above the 'plug' I will be putting in the chimney, what I really need is a very big soot door at the back of the hearth, so I can swing it open for free access to all the cabling.

I would, of course, need a big lock on it to prevent some scrote nicking all the kit.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David