rude awakening

Woke by phone ringing at 9AM....tennant: 'water pissing through my living room ceiling' me: 'is it dripping or running'? - 'it's running' I told her to turn the water of at the main and I would be there in ten mins. putting shoes on and phone goes again, 'I can't turn the tap, it's too stiff'... I got there and turned it off, checked the bedroom above nd there was a likely suspect - a floorboard sunk in below the carpet, 'how long has it been like that?' tennant: 'five years' 'hmmmmm' thought I.... I lifted the carpet and board and there were two CH pipes both with 90 deg bends...I could hear it but couldn't see it...further investigation found a small leak about a foot away from the bend - the pipes had been bouncing each time they were walked over and a bent nail in the side of a joist had sliced a small groove into the hot pipe....one plastic striaght connector fitted in minutes two and all that needs to be done now is go back in a weeks time and repaint the ceiling...I'll have to seal it in first with undercoat then emulsion over the lot because it's badly stained now

Reply to
Phil L

Bloody landlords.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

So is that just a generic "I hate landlords" grunt, or does your remark have some bearing or relevance to the OP's post?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Utter bastards aren't we?, getting up and rushing round there in person, rather than pacifying them with lies and promising to get it fixed asap before going back to bed.

Reply to
Phil L

You give them your house to live in, you're on call 24/7, you put up with their misuse and abuse of your property, their expectations that you not only will but OUGHT to give them credit and/or money... yeah, isnt he a bar steward. What are some people on eh.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

How did you get your properties Phillip?

Take out a mortgage and let the council pay it.

Rude awakening indeed...thats what you're there for hail.,rain or snow.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Better one than that ! Got a call from a tennant - " hot water coming through bathroom light " Turned out tennant in upper flat was washing down the bathroom floor with the shower.

Also, another one. Tennant " water coming down the kitchen walls" . The tennant in the upper flat had a leaky washing machine and was 'brushing' the water to the side of the walls so it 'went away'

Reply to
john

Do you normally have beer as tenants?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

You obviously expect a medal.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Sell the house if you don't like it

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Though admittedly, it's going to be much, much harder to actually get internal hail or snow, than rain.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Not really, the £500 per month makes up for it.

Reply to
Phil L

After several incidents where the main tap could not be turned off in an emergency I have decided it's a good idea to turn off all taps once a year to make sure they still work.

Reply to
Matty F

Also don't leave them turned on full, crank them back a bit.

Reply to
PM

Quite so. Nevertheless, it's a good idea to have a look around each time you go to do some work. A stitch in 9 etc.

Reply to
Ed Sirett