Routing cable to a spur extension socket

Spurs to a 13A socket and a light switch need to cross a room in the ceiling void between 2 joists. Then down the wall to the new socket and a light switch.

Two Qs:

  1. the ceiling void is clear (no thermal insulation) what is the ideal way to route the cable? Ie clip to side of the joist?; Lay it loosely on the plasterboard ceiling? or run it in mini-trunking or conduit?

  1. both cables go down the wall (under plaster) in line to the double

13A backing box. The light cable is then to go 1m along the wall to the switch. How should the lighting cable be run near the 13A backing box? ie diverted round the outside or into the 13 A box and out again?

TIA

Reply to
jim

I would clip to the joist, I can't see the advantage of conduit up there, and laying it loose looks untidy :0-)

I would take both down the wall in a conduit, to end up in the corner of the socket's box nearest the light switch, then another conduit to the light switch from the side of the socket's box, then if you need to replace the cable later for any reason (It gets damaged, or you decided you install more switches) then it can be done without having to hack the wall apart again.

Toby...

Reply to
Toby