Router recommendations

Anyone recommend a decent router (woodworking as opposed to networking type)? I'm looking to spend around a ton, hopefully including a basic set of bits.

I'm only looking to do basic stuff - rounding edges & corners, V grooves etc.

Also, if I want to do 1/4 circle edge on say 18mm MDF (i.e. 36mm dia circle, what is the proper name for the bit I need (plus name of the type of edge I am doing!), likewise a 1/2 circle edge (i.e. 18mm dia circle).

Cheers, Josh

Reply to
Josh

I got a B&Q PPro half inch router & bits set, I took it back the same day after buring it out, working on pine.

I then got a recon Dewalt, so much nicer to use, and have used it load and loads - very accurate, very nice, and it wasn't a lot more. I am currently cutting mortices in oak (8x6 inches) beams with it.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Meaning £100?

Sorry, but you won't get anything worth having for this amount, although you would be closer to doing so in a 1/4" rather than 1/2" machine.

Something like the Freud FT2000 is a good choice, available e.g. from Screwfix (catalogue 17864) for about £160.

A rounding over cutter is normally used to create a rounded edge, and could be used on both sides.

Andy Hall

In article , Rick writes

Agreed..

Heap of crap like anything with B&Q PPro on;((#

Reply to
tony sayer

Agreed, I have one of their chop saws, and one of their circular saws. The circular was cheep, so expect crap, the chop saw wasn't and the "chop" action keeps failing.

Now I either buy real cheep tools, and expect them to work once or do poor quality work, or I save up the pennies, and get good stuff.

Back to the orignal question, I had a 1/4 inch Bosh router (which I eBayed to part fund the 1/2 inch), worked fine of easy materials, pine, MDF and the like, threw a fit on hardwoods, unless I took off tiny ammounts at a time.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Thanks for the info everyone.

Top site Andy. Explains loads.

Josh

Reply to
Josh

I find a combination of a Freud FT2000 for the bigger jobs, and a Trend T5 for the smaller stuff works well.

Reply to
John Rumm

Heap of crap like anything with B&Q PPro on;((#

I wouldn't agree with that. I have a Performace Pro (the blue ones, not the grey ones) 1250 w router and it works a treat, done loads of work with it. Made by Ryobi I believe.

Agreed it wouldn't last the fortnight in a joinery shop, but for DIY mines been great.

Also have 14'4 volt drill drivers, again made by Ryobi which have also been great.

Dave

Reply to
Dave