rotten woodwork and upvc fitting

I'm having my remaining windows replaced tomorrow ( not DIY but I have done the job before myself ) I noticed today whilst clearing a bush away from the kitchen window that the woodwork that the new window will sit in has some rot. The window is actually built into a small protuding box which is else wise generally sound . The rot is about an inch long just above the end of the existing sill .I don't know much about this, will a filler last ok or will it crack ? Presumably it wont worry the window fitter too much ?

Reply to
srp

Doesn't sound too serious. However, my experience with filler is that it is impossible to get a seamless joint, it seems to pull away as it sets. I reckon enough paint on top could fill any hairline cracks that might otherwise suck in moisture. My gold-plated solution would be to cut out the rot out to a square profile, treat with preservative, allow to dry, then insert a new piece of wood cut to exact size with exterior PVA or some suitable woodglue. I am, however, a glutton for punishment. I would seriously consider cutting out all the rot whatever you do. If too extensive a bodge solution is to use wood hardener, but the area would have to be bone dry, and I expect it ain't. Finally, the reason the wood may have rotted is the presence of the bush, retaining water on the sill, so consider trimming it back.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

A lot of work and hardly ever successful IME. Car body filler would be a better bet.

I am, however, a

Reply to
Stuart Noble

thanks for that, maybe it's a job for next summer ? would have been a good idea to do it before the new window was fitted perhaps.

Reply to
srp

Ask the fitters what they would recommend.

Reply to
Codswallop