Rooftop access and power

Hi, I've got a project on that may require me accessing rooftops in the local area and providing power to these areas. Firstly, I get vertigo. Secondly, I know nothing about electrics.

So, my question is, what steps should I go through to learn the correct methods, safety techniques and neccesary electrical skills?

Hopefully by employing the correct safety, I will overcome the vertigo (which isn't terible, terrible, unless I feel unsafe. I went up "The Monument" in London the other week, and overcame the vertigo after about a minute).

Thanks

Reply to
elyob

is that permanent, or termporary, power?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'd hope the vertigo can be controlled in such a manner that it doesn't distract you from the safety aspects of electrical wiring. They may be some professionals that can guide you in conquering the heights issue - though your minute spent overcoming it is a good sign, well done! ;-)

A local college would be able to give advice on becoming an electrician, or google search this newsgroup. The question comes up quite often - maybe we need a trades training section in the FAQ

Adrian C

Permanent.

Reply to
elyob

Ah.

Waterproof outlets on a RCBO equipped ring, or, if lights, decent quality.

Cable is an issue too...I can't remember what the specs for outside cabling are, but certainly steel conduit properly earthed and cable glands and silicone where stuff exits from it is a good start. Or armored cable..as usied underground..and lots of vaseline on any screw connectors, and prevent then getting full of water.

Trick is not to seal things unless you can seal *completely*..better do have a roof and a drain over anything that may get rained on..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So quite a lot for "running a wire to the roof"! I know that there is now a legal requirement for wiring.

However, if I just wanted to run an extension cable from my flat to the roof, what sort of requirements would I be looking at? As mentioned on other answer, this is to be a permanent (or semi-permanent) fixture. Obviously dealing with electricity and the elements, I know I need to be very careful, hence the request!. I only need 12-14 volts outside (basically to run a small computer), should I step this down before sending it outside?

Thanks

Reply to
elyob

Laptops have their own transformer from 240 down to 15 volts according the spec on mine

If it is a laptop that you are running you may be able to make up a lead to leave the transformer indoors and run the 15 volts outside. It rather depends on distance and therefore voltage drop in the cable.

I am not aware of any regs or safety issues with 12 volt supply outdoors after all that's what boats cars and caravans use.

However I am not sure how you would waterproof the computer

Tony

Reply to
TMC

No. 12V is extra low voltage and pretty safe. Your main problem is that a long run at 12V is very inefficient and could have excessive voltage drop. You may find it is not practical and have to run the cable at a higher voltage (i.e. 230V) and have the power adapter at the point of use.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 14:12:57 +0100 someone who may be "elyob" wrote this:-

The requirements you will learn about in 3 years of 4 hours a week. There are no short-cuts and wiring outside the protection of a building is one of the most demanding applications there is.

I suggest that if you don't want to learn you team up with someone who has learnt.

Reply to
David Hansen

If this is for a very specific purpose (from the other replies, it sounds it), it might be better to explain exactly what you have in mind rather than everyone guessing what you're about. I'm sure that you'll then get much better replies.

Reply to
Paul Andrews

Am looking at sticking computers on a few houses around the area for a community WiFi project. I may be able to run power over ethernet, although this has been muted from some involved in similar projects.

Basically I will strip the computer down to minimal parts and place in a waterproof cover with an antenna on top.

Reply to
elyob

Would 10 metres be considered a long run of cable?

Reply to
elyob

Assumptions: Laptop power supply is 60W. Laptop voltage is 12V. Length of cable is 10m. Twin and earth mains cable is used.

Using the tlc-direct volt drop calculator, it suggests 6mm cable for this. This will provide a voltage drop of 0.4V. 6mm cable is very hefty.

Presumably, then, assuming volt drop is inversely proportional to cross sectional area, you would get a table approximately like.

1.0 - 2.4V 1.5 - 1.6V 2.5 - 1.0V 4.0 - 0.6V 6.0 - 0.4V

I don't have the resistance figures on me to check this table properly, but it looks about right. Remember, this is based on a 60W supply, which is a typical small one. A more powerful laptop (especially a desktop replacement) could need substantially more. Also, I don't know what your laptop will cope with in terms of input voltage.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I dont usually want to be offputting, but someone who knows nothing about electricity doing outdoor mains wiring on peoples roofs, locations where even the slightest of shocks can prove fatal, is something I would have to question the wisdom of.

And a person with vertigo who knows nothing about electrics or the various legal isues involved doing this sounds truly stupid. What do your insurers think of you doing potentially fatal work without even basic subject knowledge or awareness of the various legal requirements involved?

I hope you've done some more thinking since posting this.

I see you waited until post 6 to tell us the basic facts.

You should not be professionally running mains electricity outdoors anywhere, and could end up in front of a judge if you do. I realise you might take offence at this, but I'd much rather you got offended and had a good think about it than went ahead and found yourself 3 years later standing in front of the judge, explaining why your illegally installed work took someones life. And before you ask, if you're not familiar with the various regs it almost certainly would be illegal.

Yes you can run 12v 10 metres, but you need to bear in mind you will need much heavier cable than you would use for mains. I'm not sure how constructive it would be to go into voltage drops, design margins and so on, so just pick something like 2.5mm^2 and you should be ok.

I dont know if youre trolling or withholding more key information from us, but try not to kill anyone.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The message from "elyob" contains these words:

I thought the point was it was wireless!

Reply to
Guy King

Hence the reason I'm asking here before I even attempt it, or not. I think the wisdom is in asking first is it not?

I'm asking what sort of training is required and what sort of equipment is needed before I even attempt it. So at the moment, legally I'm in the clear. I've not done anything yet.

I think the basic facts are, how do I get up on the roof, not fall off and install electricity point. Okay, I wasn't clear on the electricity being permanent, but the basic facts were there.

It's not a troll, it's a serious enquiry from someone who doesn't know the regs and thought he'd just ask here. An alternate is to keep all the machinery indoors and run just an antenna cable up the wall. However the loss of signal doing this is enormous, and I'd prefer to get the equipment outdoors and the antenna with as little cable run as possible.

And, no offence taken asthere is important information in what you've written, and (as you say), serious consequences if things go wrong.

Reply to
elyob

I'd like to be able to get a rough cost estimate at least at this point. See if it is even worth persuing it.

At this point it's harder work than first imagined, I may have to just have to live with running a long amount of antenna cable but would ideally prefer to get around this.

Reply to
elyob

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 16:37:04 +0100 someone who may be "elyob" wrote this:-

Why do you want to stick anything on the roof, especially computers?

Why not stick access ports inside the houses concerned? If anything goes on the roof it should only be the antenna.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 17:42:41 +0100 someone who may be "elyob" wrote this:-

That depends on the building. On some it is a matter of opening a door or hatch. On others it is a matter of opening a window. On some it is a matter of using the appropriate ladders. On some it is a matter of using the appropriate scaffolding. In recent years the HSE have taken up working at height with a vengeance.

That depends on the building. Is the roof flat and suitable for walking on? Does it have edge protection? Are roof ladders and/or crawling boards necessary?

Your plan would also involve installing waterproof data cabling, installing the computer and installing the cover for the computer. Obviously you need to be able to get all this on the roof, along with any tools you need. The equipment must be fixed to the roof so that it is not likely to fall off and hit someone.

Far more sensible.

Have you investigated the various high gain versions?

Remember that you will also need to maintain it outdoors.

At the expense of a lot of equipment that is going to be difficult to maintain even if it does remain on the roof.

Reply to
David Hansen

Why not have a networked wlan gateway on the roof and have the computer indoors?

This sort of thing has been done a lot in the US so a Google should get some good ideas.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C