Roofing problem update

The following is what I posted here in June: I had my house re-roofed 4 years ago with a 10 year guarantee. I have had them back at least 4 times to see to water getting in. They always moan, but if I ring enough times, it gets done. While I was away last week (and incidentally last month too) there were torrential downpours and water got in via the highest part of the guttering. This is probably the only such serious downpours since the gutters were fitted. I think that the high point is either too high or the 'drop' not enough. However can I expect them to come again and fix them under the guarantee? The house is Victorian terrace and the builders use the FMB logo on their notepaper.

The situation for those who might have similar problems is as follows. Rain began dripping on the bedroom ceiling from the attic dormer window. The roofer would not return my calls so I downloaded an arbitration form from the Federation of Master Builders (FMB) website and completed it. They wrote to him and he was round within hours of receiving this. He whinged on about not being responsible for the leakage as it was my attic window shrinkage, but he first came back and used foil backed bitumen tape, which didn't work, then came again and used a generous fill of silicone. Of course it didn't rain much for ages and when it did, things were just as bad. The roof space still has 4 basins catching drips. Apparently he has not replied to FMB because they are now threatening him with expulsion and reporting to trading standards.

Watch this space.

Reply to
Jim Scott

Are you soft or something ? This roof doesnt keep out the weather an thats its most basic function. If this has been going on for 4 year why on earth haven't you dragged his useless bodging arse into cour and made him pay to get it fixed by someone who knows what they ar doing. The reason he's messing you about is because your letting hi get away with it

-- Nick H

Reply to
Nick H