Roofing prices - WTF happened?

Anyone used:

I've just plugged in my house, dimensions (12x8m, 5m slope, 4m ridge), tile type (interlocking), single storey, in the SouthEast and it says 6k for a VAT registered firm.

OK - I have dormers, but the tiled area is about the same as they will not be doing the dormer roof.

I am also adding insulation.

However, whatprice comes in around £60/m2 whereas the quotes I've had are £160/m2

OK - I feel I am being boned - by greed/circumstances/whatever.

I'll try a few more then sit it out until they run short of work or the Poles come back...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Get a quote off MyHammer. Those prices look like a roof with new timber throughout.

Alternatively split the job into 2 parts if possible.

Watching a 3-bed semi nearby:

- Roof stripped & new interlockers

- pre-day stick up surrounding scaffold (enough for tile load), signage, ki= ck boards, seems to be outsourced as much as in house these days

- 2 days with 2 people to get to all tiles on EXCEPT those needing diamond = cutting

- 1 day to diamond cut the remaining tiles etc

- 1 day to replace the fascia, guttering

Think that was it, 4 days, 2 people. No idea of the price.

Aside: it DOES appear that the heavier weight of interlockers might create = enough sag on "low pitch, lower roofs" to open the interlock enough for pre= vailing wind. So the membrane etc needs to be considered in light of this (= one didn't hence I suspect the whole lot got redone by a new owner and a pu= rlin got added on that lower roof.

A bigger roof & scaffolding can complicate costs though.

Reply to
js.b1

Cool - thanks for that - looking now!

My prices? Yes, except they are not sadly. I just distilled all 3 quotes so they represented the same base job (some quotes were itemised) and I added the missing VAT.

Fancy company 1: 23k Fancy company 2: 20k Rod Burt of Battle as suggested here: 15k Another bloke from Bexhill muttering around 16k

Rod's winning but he's still more than I can afford (see end).

Meep! They were telling me 2 weeks. But mine does have lost of flashing and

4 valleys.

One of the quotes listed:

"Operative £25/hour; Tradesman £35/hour"

The interlockers are actually lighter at 48-51kg/m2 laid weight. Plain concrete tiles come in at 67-77kg/m2 depending on guage.

This is certainly not obvious, but is apparantly due (explained by roofer) to the intelockers being laid with less net overlap compaired to plains.

It's bourne out on Redland's site:

technical).

I think mine will be a single lift at 7ft or so, but being detatched there's a fair perimeter.

Barring a miracle on pricing - I have come up with another idea.

I said it's not possible to install celotext from inside. That's almost tru

- but it's more accurate to say I cannot install it and seal it across the whole roof *completely*

Specifically:

1) I cannot get a good seal to the wall plate or the lower metre of the rafters from inside; The lower 1m needs foaming in from the outside. Above 1m we are good from inside.

2) I cannot get anything in where the dormer faces meet the sloping roof - about 6m lenght of 1m depth of sloping roof.

So, I figured I might be able to get celotex loose fited from inside across about 3/4 of the perimeter.

Then call the roofers in. They strip. I fit the remaing 1/4 myself quickly and buzz round with a can of foam from outside.

The rest I can do from inside.

This could be a plan to take out the celotex from their quote completely.

I shall ring the best two and propose this. I'll point out it's this or no job, so unless they are really flush with work, I'm hoping they'll bite. I'm guessing I could knock a day or two of labour off their quote which may be significant. I will also get the celotex done the way I want[2]

[2] They want to tape it. From outside. I fail to see how you can "tape" to roughsawn rafters.

Cheers,

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Very interesting. Detached tiling job on house a bit smaller than mine 8k. Some other quotes for semi-detached coming in a 6k.

Reply to
Tim Watts

This is the future. Put your job out to tender. It's how the building game works further up the scale I think. I know someone who got a whole load of top quality plastering done this way at virtually half price with a next day start. A lot of tradesmen are living in the past, waiting for the little old lady call, and actually not very busy at all

Reply to
stuart noble

Dinosaurs - yes, I had concluded that was the case. One of the local small guys did actually use email!!!

Robertsbridge is pretty dinosaury too - but I see there's a lot of quotes for other work from firms in Bexhill, Hastings and Tunbridge Wells area.

Anyway, I have posted the job - with insulation and guttering elements removed. If they produce a particularly good quote I would ask them how much to add in the insulation:

insualtion as an optional extra here:

gutterboard:

It is entirely possible that I might attract a firm from London who happens to be short of work and don't mind a 50 mile drive.

We'll see.

I'll have a rummage and see if there ar eany other sites that do similar tendering.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I just tried MyBuilder and got a "declined" on the two supplimentary jobs linked to the main job.

I've contested these, but it seems MyHammer is more sane...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Aha... so it is a VISUAL illusion. Interlockers being wider tiles make the step visually noticeable, conventio= nal concrete tiles being narrower make it "more subtle".

Conventional foil tape will absolutely not stick to treated timber, and I d= oubt rough sawn. It may appear to, but I guarantee it lifts very soon after= .

I suspect Celotex pushes people into the "fiddly" and thus quote much highe= r re labour. A plain roof is "commodity" apart from the flashing. Check wha= t flashing they propose on using - and get some C-Caps for unused chimney's= . C-Caps come in 11" and 13" - fancy flared top pots might need the 13" as = a warning; circa =A319 each and allow ventilation without wind blown rain c= oming in (re upstairs chimneys long disused and wood borers munching joists= ).

Using MyHammer I got 18 courses of bricks off a rear stack (28x 73mm course= s high, plus pot) for =A3240 including slate cap & pointed dome with SBR, s= ide airbrick facing away from prevailing wind and brown cowl. A nasty job, = carrying bricks down rather than stacking them so exhausting them too. Just= got on with it and done; but he was a mountaineer so just a good workout :=

-)

Reply to
js.b1

And the interlock forms a joint that water will not travel sideways, so you don't need another whole tile under the joint - just an modest overlap of rows - I think!

That's what I thought. I've used basically the same tape on other jobs and it's not very sticky. Ideal onto foil faces or plastic, but I could not see it sticking to much else. Makes you wonder... I had a fancy high end firm cross out "foam in" and replace it with "taped" on my specification. If you cannot get to the bits inside to apply say 150mm wide tape spanning two sheets and a rafter, I could not possibly see how this would work.

Which is odd as Celotexing straight parallel rafter runs is not what I'd call fiddly... But there you go.

Wow!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Bugger me.

have generated 2 enquiries in the time it took me to cook and eat lunch!

One in Battle who I did not come across in YP or ThompsonLocal. Another in Hastings.

Both seem perfectly sensible and are sporting good reveiews. I've invited them around. Hastings bloke just phoned and coming round Tue.

I expect MyHammer may generate some - though I set the job price which you can't do (or are not encouraged anyway) on MyBuilder.

Good tip!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Well - 2 guys from MyBuilder (similar site) contacted me - both local, both been. 1st (well, him and I presume his brother who both came) was very relaxed and was happy to along with my specifications.

They said the right things and did not appear to be talking bollocks. They even suggested I source the 3 most expensive items:

tiles (flat, interlockers and half-rounds) celotex cedar for gutterboard.

They said as I had more time I could almost certainly beat their usual merchants. They would sort out all the fiddly bits themselves.

Seemed a prefectly practical approach.

The other guy seemed sensible too.

So we wait with baited breath...

Curiously, the responses from MyHammer have been one guy who "quoted" £1200

- I dumped him as being obviously sloppy!

The other guy is from inner London - and has no roofing references that I can see.

Must be a regional thing - all the East Sussex people are using MyBuilder - one said they got about 50% of their work from it.

Reply to
Tim Watts

When I googled MyHammer there seemed to be a lot of unhappy people, particularly tradesmen

been on and looked for jobs within 25 miles of my home and with a ...

have registered maybee 6 months ago and was big mistake ...

Praise, Vent & Warnings.

Sitz in Berlin. Das Unternehmen betreibt über ihre Tochter MY-HAMMER ...

plumber, registed with a few of these trade sites where you bid for...

Reply to
djc

Hmm.

I do think their is one flaw in the plan. You can hardly expect a "quote" based on an internet posting, without seeing the job.

The process should be 2 stage - contact for visit then quote. Or they should be able to enter into a dialogue to clarify, then offer a ballpark estimate rather than a "quote".

Reply to
Tim Watts