Tips for Roofing Quote

I've had a couple of quotes to reroof my Victorian terraced house in Sheffield

- around £10k, including 3 Veluxes, in a conservation area (so a certain slate needed, and maybe a couple of other things).

Apart from not knowing whether this is a good price, I'm finding it difficult to figure out what to look for. It just looks like a list of materials to me, with no specifications on workmanship, brands etc. No mention of guarantees, or staging payments. At the moment I'm being encouraged to go with a local roofer by my neighbour (we're having them done at the same time), who seems to think they have a good reputation from work done nearby.

What should I be asking for?

Reply to
RJH

Doesn't sound too bad to me. I'd certainly be keen on local recommendations, something that local Facebook groups are often good for (recognising that some of the responses may come from friends and family).

Reply to
newshound

Wandsworth allowed artificial slate, and mine was done with that over 40 years ago. As was much of the area. When grants were being dished out. It has lasted very well.

Not sure how decent real slate compares cost wise today, though. Then, it was a lot more expensive.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Dunno but I know Sheff council can be arsey about the exact type of slate used.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

When I had my terraced house re-roofed it was 2 men for 4 full days. Small deposit and payment only at the end of the job. This included removal of all old roof and any materials left over (I did keep a couple of dozen spare tiles). The quote included them organising scaffolding for both sides of the house etc..

My quote didn't include brand names etc. I was initially asked if I wanted cheap as chip tile or more expensive tiles. The quote gave a complete list of generic tasks. The grade of lead flashing was listed.

Pricing depends more on roofing material (type of slate etc.) so possibly not comparable with what I paid a few years back.

Do they offer a insurance backed deposit protection and guarantee which may/will be better than having one from a small (or large )company that may go out of business?

If into DIY consider doing any high work while the scaffolding is up. Paint your gutters etc. but probably not while they are still working on the roof. If you do this you may have a word with the scaffolders to include more working platforms. For roofing they may just use planks at gutter level. My experience with scaffolders is that they will not be in too much of a hurry to remove it until you phone up.

Reply to
alan_m

Get scaffolding included in the quote - then no issue of extended rental charges if weather problems etc. Are there any areas where you want solid insulation lutting in which are only accessible from outside ? Organise someone or DIY to do comprehensive overhaul of gutters and any woodwork while scaffolding up. Any leadwork or chimney stacks need checking or repointing etc.

Reply to
Robert

2 things:

  1. I'd avoid anyone advertsing in the Yellow Pages or elsewhere. If they need to advertise they can't be that good IME. Personal recommendation from previous satisfied customers is key.

  2. Get someone close by to where you live so that when something goes wrong (like some recently taken-on young 'un falling through the ceiling as happened in my case) you can easily bug them about it until they fix it. Even the best of them make f*ck-ups, so being able to easily chase them up can become very important.
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

A commercial property close to where I live was re-roofed with artificial slate. It looked good when finished but it now looks if "nail rot" is setting in and there have been quite a few slipped slates in the past decade.

Maybe one of the things the OP should do is ask about the nails.

Reply to
alan_m

Thanks - yes, will do. The quotes do say slate, so I'd assume that's what they do - not that I'd object to artificial, as it looks quite good IMO. I'll ask anyway.

Reply to
RJH

Thanks, good points.

Reply to
RJH

They used copper nails here. Done with a council grant, they were quite strict with inspections. Wouldn't happen these days with reduced council staff in those areas.

Lots of houses round here were done at the same time. Most still look good, but on some the artificial slates have discoloured to a sort of yellowish hue. So there was obviously more than one maker. Mine still look fine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

2 properties, 1 a detatched 1960's 4 bed Gloucestershire- local builder known to the family for 30 years or more, regular "boring" tiles Quote - £10K 2nd property, grade 2 listed terraced cottage, conservation area etc etc (Brixham) Slates 2 quotes, first roofers (trusted local) £12k, 2nd roofer (Exeter found on TrustedTrader) £9k

so £10K give or take appears to be a pretty standard price it would seem.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk