Reroof time

Water penetration, ice daming, convince me the time has come to seek out a roofing job.

Access to the very limited attic space is quite difficult. So improving ventilation and insulation might not be an option. Concentrating on the exterior what options should I look for to better assure a leak free roof job?

As a matter for consideration the lot is heavily wooded and shaded. So much so that moss appears in several places on the roof.

Reply to
Jim

Sounds like you live in a pre-fab with a very low roof pitch and inadequate ventilation. What do you have in the line of roof vents and overhang ventilation? Is it possible to run power to the attic to put in a powered ventilator?

Reply to
Mike Dobony

An experienced reputable roofer. He'll know what is best for your situation.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I had two layers of shingles removed from my shaded roof and asked the roofer to (1) install a ridge vent and (2) put on the

36 inch wide "ice dam prevention" stuff under the shingles [I think it is some sort of rubbery stuff which does not let any water which may accumulate near the roof edges leak between the shingles into the plywood to which the shingles are nailed.]

I don't have any idea how much this approach would help your problem.

Reply to
John_B

This happens to be a 50 year old cape with center dormer. Vents are on either end.

Crawl space is nearly nonexistent to install a powered anything.

Reply to
Jim