Roofing felt v tempereature

I have been waiting to re felt shed roof (8x6), There is a 2 hour window tomorrow where temp will be real feel of 18C (actual 17C). Is this warm enough to do a decent job or should I hold off until mid summer. I can have everything ready to go and have the strips of felt laid out in the sun before laying.

It is not urgent but like to do as soon as possible, Thoughts?

Reply to
ss

Can't see any problem...

What type of felt, and how are you fixing it?

Reply to
John Rumm

plenty warm enough

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

From a roll of roofing felt the thicker stuff. Using felt nails.

Reply to
ss

You want gunge[1] as well, if you ask me. Apply at edges, and along all seams (if you are overlapping sheets).

And I screw slim battens[2] over the felt too -- doesn't look all that elegant (to some eyes), but makes me feel a lot happier when the winter storms start.

My 2p! John

[1] I currently have "Wickes Roofing Felt Adhesive" in the garage; applied using a putty knife, with copious amounts of white spirit handy. [2] Strips of timber about 20mm by 10mm, the length of the roof, vertically, every couple of feet, using screws which (obviously) penetrate the felt and the roof, without coming through the roof and making spikes to catch your bonce on.
Reply to
Another John

If the existing felt will bend ok, its warm enough. When its real cold & the felt has gone rigid, that's when it can't be done, unless you use modified bitumen that stays flexible.

Re wood strips over the top: I wouldn't. The last felt roof I fixed had these, the felt had split much of the length under each strip, and the wooden deck had rotted right through where the strips were nailed on. Imho its a bodge.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

They are supposed to limit the damage caused by the wind. I have never seen them work. The felt has always gone so far that the roof is leaking before it rips off in the wind. My felt went in the strong winds about 8 weeks ago, fortunately the roof is 8x4 shuttering ply so its pretty much water proof without the felt. Its got corrugated sheets on top of the ply now and I will green it later. I can recommend shuttering ply for roof work it lasts for years.

Reply to
dennis

Not happened here and the strips have stopped the wind ripping all the felt off. And when it's blowing stops the flet moving up and down over the whole area as the pressures change each side of it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I think its much better to use bitumen adhesive to do that. Adhesive holds the felt over its entire area rather than 2 strips.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Ok managed to get the job finished today however another question. One of the felt nails I hammered in hit the spot beteen 2 pieces of the wood roofing ie the nail is not secured to the wood. Should I just leave in or take out and try and seal the hole.

Reply to
ss

Well if you have your gunge, as recommended, this question is really superfluous! :-) The gunge (sorry: "roofing felt adhesive") is basically your security blanket, so to speak, when roofing.

J.

Reply to
Another John

Leave it in or you will have a hole and gunge is never very good a sealing holes. The felt however is in intimate contact with the stem of the nail by virtue of having the stem driven through the felt.

Is that nail really loose or is it gripped at all by the timber? Is it along the bottom edge of top layer so has other nails within an inch or so either side? Or some where else with less frequent nailing?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

strip, and

But when (not if) the felt fails its a right beggar to get off. I guess you can flet over but then you are making a damp trap that isn't going to be good for the timber underneath.

It also depends on the timber, sheet materials with braced joins won't move independantly. My shed roof is rough sawn 9 x 1 planks, that do move independantly and expand/contract quite a bit with the seasons. I wouldn't expect a bit of felt stuck to those timbers to last along the joins between planks.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Leave it on, it just gives a little extra protection against ingress. It doesnt act as a damp trap.

agreed. That's not a type of deck I'd install, but of course they're in use.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr