Question regarding roofing felt and drip cap!!

I am outside now stripping the roof of shingles. Question came to mind is the drip cap installed first and then the felt laid over or the other way around. Reason for asking is as I stripped the roof the first couple of rows of felt the felt was underneath and the last ones the felt is over the drip cap, which is right? Thanks for any assistance. Of course the felt would be easier to trim if over drip cap. I just want to do it right, figure it is the last time I will ever need it at my advanced age! Not to confident hanging on a roof.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Bray

If you get a leak (Heaven forbid) you don't want the water to run under the drip edge and down the fascia. So lay the felt over the drip edge the easy way and nobody's going to see it anyway. And be careful up there. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

OK Thanks Joe

Probably another dumb question, as I have stripped one side of the roof of shingles the paper (felt) looks OK other than the holes from the roofing nails, after I clean up the nails and ready it for new felt is there anything wrong with leaving the old paper up there and laying the new felt over it? or should I just take it to bare wood? As I laid the new felt I thought I would take out the old felt nails as I went just to make it a little cleaner this is a roof of about 26 x 22 feet (my junk shop). I sort of thought it might save time? But then since I don't know for sure figured I could ask! Thanks again Joe for the speedy response. At 65 I am no longer as agile as I used to be but here in Florida roofing crews are way behind and will be lucky to get a roofer in 2 years.

Lee

Joe Bobst wrote:

Reply to
Lee Bray

How did you get the old shingles off without pulling the felt off with them? I would have ripped it all off to get a good flat surface to work on, and to check the decking for problems before starting with the new.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

Hi Eric

All I did was shove a flat blade shovel underneath the shingles and pry up and off the shingles came and the Felt more or less stayed. Looks generally good but will follow advice and pull it all up then. It is just in a shop and I can see all the wood from inside. Rafters and plywood no insulation or nothing else. Thanks for the reply!!

Lee

Eric T>How did you get the old shingles off without pulling the felt off with them?

Reply to
Lee Bray

Actually, the felt should be under the drip on the rakes and under on the eaves. You always want the water to be on top of something besides the sheathing. It probably wont really make a difference, though.

Dan

Reply to
Dan