Ryobi + Home Depot

Guys (and gal),

I just had someone tell me Home Depot and Ryobi are "in cahoots" and "the holy H" is the ONLY place you can buy Ryobi power tools. When the hell did this happen and why wasn't I notified? Anyone else know about this?

Reply to
Joe Fabeitz

You can buy Ryobi at Sears its just a different color.

cm

Reply to
cm

Great marriage. HD sells mediocre stuff, Ryobi makes mediocre stuff.

You probably know, Ryobi is made for the homeowner that has very light use, not for a pro.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hi, I am not a fan of Ryobi stuff. Nothing special. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

It's been that way for a number of years. A few years ago, I happened to be in Lowes, and I was wandering around the tool section looking for a replacement battery for an old 12v Ryobi drill driver and they told me that they didn't sell Ryobi products and that I had to go to HD.

Reply to
willshak

and the same company that owns ryobi now (recent acquisition) owns milwaukee tools - better get yer "good " sawzall now....sigh

Reply to
patrick mitchel

It's true about the affiliation, but really, what does it matter? Many of the old brand names aren't what they used to be either. The tools are OK for lighter homeowner usage, drill chucks & switches have improved since 18v tools have become their mainstream. bill

Reply to
bill a

Reply to
Art Todesco

So, a Hong Kong company (Techtronic Industries) buys out a Swedish company's (Atlas Copco) brand. If you want to buy a tool from Milwaukee when it was owned by a US company, you'll have to buy one made before 1995. What makes you think that if one company owns two or more different brands that they all will be of equal quality? As already mentioned, Daimler owns Chrysler (not the other way around!). Does that mean that the Mercedes will be of the same quality as the Dodge Neon, or vice versa? Ford owns Aston Martin, Jaguar, Land Rover, Volvo, and Mazda. Did any of those 'foreign' cars gain or lose quality due to the change of ownership?

Reply to
willshak

As the owner of a couple of Rangers, I can tell you that you can find Mazda parts under Ford hoods and vice versa.

Lance "But I don't like Mazdas" Hays

Reply to
R Hace

Around 2-3 months ago I purchased a Ryobi trimmer (weedwacker) from a Meijer in southeast Michigan. They also had several other Ryobi power lawn tools, such as an edger and different models of combo trimmer/edgers.

Reply to
A User

Having owned a Mercedes, that may not be a bad thing.

Jag has gotten much better (reliable) now that they use the Mustang V-8. Electrical systems got better after dumping the Duke of Darkness (Lucas)

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Ryobi tools and Ryobi garden equipment are owned by two different companies.

dickm

Reply to
dicko

wilshak; I only mentioned the 2 companies. It wasn't meant as an indictment of every aquisition. I've had the use of an old sawzall for 30 yrs. The thing is as strong as the day it was made. The only ryobi tool I've had was an old (20yrs old) palm sander- still going strong. Since I read the woodworking and metalworking NG's daily, I've seen more than a couple of posts on the 2 tool makers. Yeah Ryobi tools work at the price the're made. Perhaps not for long or perhaps they're overused- the point I wanted to make is that the parent company of ryobi bought milwaukee. You added the rest. Now that I think of it perhaps I shouldn't have hijacked the thread. Sorry...

Reply to
patrick mitchel