Portable AC units

Just purchased a portable air conditioner at Home Depot. 9000 BTU that is supposed to cool up to a 400 sq ft room. The room this is being ran in is a

11 X 15 room. The room has 3 high speed, hot running computer.

Problem is it is not cooling the room. The compressor never shuts down, the temperature never drops.

Do I need a more powerful unit? Any other suggestions?

TIA

Reply to
Bruin

The link fails to work... hmmm... if you want to see the exact product:

copy & paste the SKU# 024927017767

Reply to
Bruin

I have the older 8000 btu/hr Maytag portable from early last summer which works fine for cooling my entire upstairs in northern Illinois. But I adjust my blinds to block direct sun and my neighbor's tree shades my home in late afternoon. I wrapped the vent hose in white towels held on with zip ties to help insulate that, attached foam plastic to the window vent assembly to keep the heat out (facing sunny south), and blocked the gap between upper and lower window sections for the partially open window with the vent mount.

Does the air coming out of the unit feel cool? I assume you are venting the heat outside through the window holder without letting too much back in, but some (possibly warm) air ends up entering from somewhere to replace what was vented. Poor insulation, solar gain, incadescent lights, your PC's, and body heat can all contribute to heat gain and need to be properly factored in for sizing. A kilowatt-hour of power use could give off 3413 btu/hr (and may drop voltage and output of the A/C unit if on the same circuit).

Reply to
David Efflandt

A kWh of energy use could give off 3413 Btu of energy, whether the use occurred over 1 hour at a power of

1000 watts or 100 hours at a power of 10 watts.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

The air coming out of the unit is about 17-18 degrees lower than ambient. From what I am reading, it should be colder. These computers produce a ton of heat, the power supplies alone are mini space heaters. Unit is going back & I am ordering a more powerful one.

Thanks for your reply.

Reply to
Bruin

Assuming it's installed per instructions:

Air coming out should feel "cold". The actual cooling coils inside the front cover should almost or might have frost on them or at least lots of cold water covering them. It sounds like you have a bad unit. I would do a little googling to see what size ac is needed, too. Volume is more important than square footage; and you didn't mention ceiling height. Lots of ac web sites have size calculators, Sinde you don't say whre you are located, you may or may not have enough cooling power there, but it WILL make a noticeable difference. Maybe not enough of a diff, but a noticeable diff.

Pop

9000 BTU that is

being ran in is a

computer.

never shuts down, the

Reply to
Pop Rivet

You're venting the exhaust out a window, correct? (It may seem obvious, but then you didn't mention it so that we could eliminate it.) ACs don't create cold so much as move heat. The heat has to go *somewhere*.

Alternatively, without the window exhaust, they seem to merely act as dehumidifiers, improving the comfort in a room. Your problem doesn't seem to be humidity (hopefully not, in a computer room), just pure heat.

This should get to the model:

See also:

Dan Hartung

It failed to make the standard 20 degree difference from ambient. From what I understand, the manufacturer is known for that. I have returned it & I am purchasing a 13000 btu model with dual tubes, intake & exhaust.

Thanks for your reply.

Reply to
Bruin

Reply to
nospam4me

And remember...there is No such thing as cold...in other words, a unit does not make cold....it simply removes heat...

Reply to
*CBHVAC*

17 deg f

I returned the machine to Homedepot. An HVAC guy told me that I need 4000 BTU for the computers & 8000 BTU for the room. This was a 9000 BTU unit.

Reply to
Bruin