Yea - roofing starts next week

Scaffolders are coming tomorrow.

I will spend the weekend drilling the new window frames and mounting the uPVC sills ready to install at the drop of a hat when the guys get to that part of the dormer.

Naturally I have picked the time of year which has howling gales. I take solice in the fact that nearly the entire rest of the year has been s**te and rainy in this part of East Sussex.

On the plus side, we should be warm for Xmas.

I will have to hand the guttering and refit soffit (most is shot and patched with bits of ply) as soon as they are gone.

Reply to
Tim Watts

solace, as in a quantum of...

Watch the weather. SWMBO reckons its big ice on the way.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ceratinly likely to get colder but that's not very surprising at this time of year...

It's the nasty little but intense depression that looks to give the south a bit of battering over sat night/sunday that might be more of a worry.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Oooh..

It's not too disasterous as long as they finish their bit. But I will order the gutter segments needed to replace the few bits of iron that are mixed in with the ali, before deliveries go for a sack of s**te.

Lack of soffits for a few weeks is not a big deal as the mice will have to eat through foil faced celotex to get in. But I would like to get that done as soon as practical.

And the roof has a moderate overhang so delays in rehanging guttering is not too much of an issue. I think I would rather do it in light snow with thermals than in bloody horizontal rain!

That's the trouble with Britain - impossible to plan anything weather dependent so might as well just suck to it :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes - I'm rather hoping it gets that over with by mid next week when they start in earnest.

I will have kittens if there's any sheeting up there with these winds.

Was watching a building in Shelton St, London having the tarps gradually ripped off the scaffolding yesterday - and they were tied on properly.

Reply to
Tim Watts

So she clearly reads the Daily Express then.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Wasn't there a chap in a 3-cornered hat shouting 'Man the yardarms. Look lively you lubbers', followed by the patter of bear feet?

Reply to
GB

or even "bare feet". I don't think London Zoo lost any animals in the storm.

Reply to
charles

I just re-read my post and spotted that. It's the homophones that get me every time!

Reply to
GB

Cold weather predicted at some time in winter shocker!

Reply to
Rob

Have you arranged to fit any solar panels whilst up there?

Reply to
harry

Relax. Homophones have been legal since 1967

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Although July is statistically likely to be a better choice than November, which is the month the water authorities are hoping will refill their reservoirs.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Except this year - I think July was miserable. June had a couple of very hot weeks.

This does have to be the worst year for rain I can remember since 1977. On the plus side, at least I have not been flooded unlike the poor bastards in half the rest of the country.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Or if there are kittens up there, they'll be sheeting themselves.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Having been up on a roof during a very hot spell, I can say that has its disadvantages too. The best weather IMO is mild but overcast.

I had newts swimming across my back garden, but, fortunately, the water stayed a couple of inches below floor level and below the level of the foul water manhole cover at the front. I was glad I had built the big wooden shed on 6" x 2" timbers on edge.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Blimey - 3 blokes have, after 5 hours, nearly finished 1 lift around 40m of perimeter!

The sun is out, the air is cool but not cold and the wind non existant - this is exactly what I want for 3 weeks!! I shall now lie back and take a boot in the nadgers from Mr Murphy X-o

Reply to
Tim Watts

In message , Tim Watts writes

This may help.

Adrian

Hehe - that's about right.

On the doubleplus side, no water company next year will dare to even say "water shortage".

Reply to
Tim Watts

Just been up round it - really weird feeling, walking without a care at gutter level.

I've asked if I can have it for a couple of weeks past the re-tile for free (answer was "of course, nowt going on over Xmas") - hanging guttering while lying down is quite appealing....

Reply to
Tim Watts