Roofer Quote

Hi all

I've been quoted =A3658 by a roofing company, to:

- Replace 8 or so slates which have come down - Clean the accumulated muck out from the bits between the window frames and the slates in the upstairs bay windows - Replace a section of shattered plastic guttering with a cast iron section (maybe 3 metres).

No experience of having roofing work done: is this quote reasonable, or is it on the high side ?

Cheers, Keith.

Reply to
Keith

Are they erecting scaffolding to do the job (which is probably a health and safety requirement these days) or doing it from ladders etc? If the latter, then yes, that's pretty high IMHO. Mind you the cast iron gutter won't be cheap.

David

Reply to
Lobster

No scaffolding: ladders only.

Reply to
Keith

Well looking at some recent invoices of mine, a recent bit of roughly comparable roof work I had done included fitting (not supplying) a Velux window, renewing a 6-foot length of guttering, supply and fitting two through-the-tiles vent ducts, plus checking over the whole roof and replacing a few duff tiles - total 211 GBP incl VAT. Another one - totally renewing a 3mx2m -ish flat roof, including baseboard - 634 GBP. Finally, replacing a whole knackered downpipe and hopper - 94 GBP. (I shouldn't own up to these in a diy newsgroup, should I - but I'm afraid roofers are one of the few tradespeople I do employ!)

You might want to consider how long the job will take to do, how much the cost of materials will be, and come up with a rough hourly rate based on the quote - it sounds pretty high in your case!

David

Reply to
Lobster

I had a roof serviced (mostly front elevation), ie about 8 slates, repointing apex tles and some flashing repaired for about £350 (Midlands). Two men 2 hours work each.

About one months later, a small but significant hole appeared - a slipped/broken slate or similar. To cut a long story short this was a consequence of the earlier work but they didn't want to fix it and I couldn't be bothered to pursue through courts. Anyway after much leaving details and not getting calls back, people not showing up etc I finally got a quote to fix - £410 inc VAT!. In the end I remedied the situation with some foam filler & black paint- cost about £3 minus unused foam filler $2-80, will do fine 'till the roof need servicing next time.

BTW does Britain needs a public categorised internet database, where folks can report a brief description of a job (or quote), location, whether it was done OK and what it cost (but not name/libel who did it!) so that we all know the going rate and when we're being ripped off?. Top of the list would be the category 'new boiler installation'.

Egremont.

Reply to
Egremont

Maybe you have your heart set on re-instating the iron gutter but if you wanted to DIY like for like the gutter would cost 5 UKP and simply clips into existing brackets and the slates start off at 1 UKP each from most builders merchants just take one of the old ones along and ask for advice. So that will be £13 .

Reply to
madmax

All

Thanks for your comments: will get further quotes !

Cheers, Keith.

Reply to
Keith