roof geometry question

Hi all I am working on my pyramid roof design at the moment.The architect has specified a 15 degree pitch-but-no height.The base is 6.1 metres square.I know its a trig problem tan[15 degrees]=opposite[height] over adjacent[3.1metres]-but my 58 year old brain is beat-from here on.Could someone get there 12 year old to work this out.

Reply to
tom patton

3.05 × tan(15°) = 0.817m high

You'll have to have more overlap on the tiles at that angle to stop rain blowing in.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

'Fraid I'm not a 12 year-old - I'm 4 years older than the OP!

But I'm sorry - the answer given is not right!

If it's a pyramid, the base of the 15 degree triangle is half of a

*diagonal*, not of a *side*.

By Pythagoras, each diagonal will be sqrt(2) x side length = 8.627 metres, and half a digonal will be 4.313 metres.

The height will thus be 4.313 x tan(15) = 1.156 metres.

Reply to
Set Square

Reply to
smudger

sounds betta

Reply to
smudger

Says who?

Only if that's how the pitch has been specified. The OP said that the architect has specified a 15 degree pitch.

In my experience, the pitch of a roof is measured between two lines, both of which are at right-angles to the bottom "drainpipe" edge, one on the roof and one horizontal. The line on the roof is in the same direction as the edges of the tiles.

I would be *very* surprised if the architect had specified the slope of the diagonals of the pyramid, rather than 'down' the roof, but then we don't know all the detail, do we?

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Smudger. Get yourself a protractor and a bit of graph paper. Cheers Tom

Reply to
Tom

On reflection, you may well be right!

As you say, it depends on how the architect defined "pitch" - but is more likely to be the slope of the plane of the roof than of the diagonal.

Reply to
Set Square

Reply to
tom patton

The crazy mountain-climbing duo (who did the Edinburgh tower house refurb on Grand Designs) did all their own leadwork. I don't see why zinc should be impossible. I would suggest making a mock-up of the internal and external angles etc (say about 3-4ft sq, does not have to be to scale, as the zinc thickness will not be reduced to scale) and practicing before heading up the ladder with the big sheets.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Reply to