rocker cover

What the hell do the yanks mean when they talk about a rocker cover ? Definitely not what I understand it to mean, a cover for the cam shaft rockers

Reply to
billyorange007

You tell us? What have you heard them use the term for?

I've sometimes seen the term used, sloppily, to refer to various aspects of the upper layers of an engine but not necessarily just by Americans.

Of course, few of us should really use the term these days given the prevalence of overhead cams (and therefore absence of rockers), instead using the term valve cover.

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Um, many if not most OHC engines still have rockers.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I gained the impression they are talking about the cills Beats me

Reply to
billyorange007

On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 03:51:58 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: <snip>

I believe that is the case ('sills', after talking to my wrench mate in the States).

But then they call bumpers > fenders, wings > quarter panels, bonnets

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Oh, okay!

I suppose vehicle body part names is probably the biggest area where we are separated by a common language!

Reply to
Mathew Newton

A bing Image search for "American car rocker cover" brings up this selection

so yes it looks like cills is the most likely

Reply to
Chris B

As for why its called that, this link may shed some light

Chris B

No it doesn't, Those are just images of 'american cars'

I watch lots of US reality TV car shows and a rocker cover is the same there as here.

Only wings are fenders and boots are trunks and bonnets are hoods. And transmissions are two speed powerglide!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That is a rocker PANEL not a rocker COVER

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

very true those are rockers...my mustang had rocker stripes between the wheels under the door .....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

what keeps the oil in about the rocker or overhead cam ....or the bit between the wheels under the doors .....the bonnet is the hood and the hood is the top ...the boot is the trunk...simples

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

the fender is the wing ......the furries are the weather proof strips.....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...