rocker cover

What the hell do the yanks mean when they talk about a rocker cover ? Definitely not what I understand it to mean, a cover for the cam shaft rockers
On Friday, 13 September 2019 10:46:46 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You tell us? What have you heard them use the term for?
I've sometimes seen the term used, sloppily, to refer to various aspects of the upper layers of an engine but not necessarily just by Americans.
Of course, few of us should really use the term these days given the prevalence of overhead cams (and therefore absence of rockers), instead using the term valve cover.
Um, many if not most OHC engines still have rockers.
Tim
On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 11:09:26 AM UTC+1, Mathew Newton wrote:

I gained the impression they are talking about the cills Beats me
On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 03:51:58 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: <snip> >I gained the impression they are talking about the cills
I believe that is the case ('sills', after talking to my wrench mate in the States).
But then they call bumpers > fenders, wings > quarter panels, bonnets

Cheers, T i m
On Friday, 13 September 2019 11:52:01 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Oh, okay!
I suppose vehicle body part names is probably the biggest area where we are separated by a common language!

A bing Image search for "American car rocker cover" brings up this selection
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=american+car+rocker+cover&qpvt=american+car+rocker+cover&FORM=IGRE
so yes it looks like cills is the most likely
--
Chris B (News)

On 13/09/2019 18:27, Chris B wrote:

As for why its called that, this link may shed some light
https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/uk-us-car-part-names/#sill-vs-rocker-panel
--
Chris B (News)

On 13/09/2019 18:30, Chris B wrote:

That is a rocker PANEL not a rocker COVER
--
“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools.”
On 13/09/2019 18:27, Chris B wrote:

No it doesn't, Those are just images of 'american cars'
I watch lots of US reality TV car shows and a rocker cover is the same there as here.
Only wings are fenders and boots are trunks and bonnets are hoods. And transmissions are two speed powerglide!

--
“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools.”

very true those are rockers...my mustang had rocker stripes between the wheels under the door .....

what keeps the oil in about the rocker or overhead cam ....or the bit between the wheels under the doors .....the bonnet is the hood and the hood is the top ...the boot is the trunk...simples
On 13/09/2019 22:00, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

the fender is the wing ......the furries are the weather proof strips.....