Robomowers

Anyone got one?

They all seem to be mulching mowers. What consequences does this have for your lawn over time? Worth worrying about?

Do most of them bumble about (apparently randomly) like my sister’s one or can some actually run up and down the lawn leaving stripes?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I've been thinking of asking the same thing so will be interested in any replies. They're fairly expensive and I'd prefer to be able to try-before-buy, but that doesn't appear to be an option. uk.rec.gardening might be a good place to ask the same question

Reply to
nothanks

Do they require a flat lawn? I'm assuming that they would have difficulty on my lawn with lots of dips and holes dug by the local foxes.

Reply to
alan_m

My sister has a very hilly lawn and her (expensive) machine seems to cope well with hills. Less well with bumps and dips though. I think you need to fix these first.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I got a robomower years ago. My advice is save your money. it kept slipping afterrain, which I solved by screwing screws into the plastic wheels with about .5inch protruding. Then the one I had bogth needed a trickle feed of electricity always. It was limited by an underwire in the ground conected to the charging station. the flowers that were in isolated lots had to be abandoned. Like the Roomba, a lot of problems have been solved since. Still, more trouble than It was worth.

Reply to
maus

They don't have regular-mower properties. It's basically a golf-course algo, lawn kept really short, mowed every day, so machine does not have to deal with a "jungle". This means, if you shut the system down for a while, you might still need to do a mow your-own-self, just so the mower is not challenged by the load.

It would be similar to cleaning the house, before the cleaning lady comes over :-)

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I've just watched this video, know nothing about the make, but it apparently works in neat lines. I think you really need a roller for proper stripes, which I don't believe is common on a robot.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Well very expensive ones that are controlled by buried cables do stripes but also they need to empty the box, since throwing it on the grass kind of deletes the of going up and down and doing stripes. I personally not reckon them as they seem to still need a clean if the are used on wet grass. get a sheep?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The grass behind the mower looks identical to the grass it hasn't cut yet :)

Reply to
alan_m