Rising Main Saga

My 1976 house has black 'plastic' pipework connected to 15mm copper under the sink. That's how they did it back then.

Reply to
Andrew

You get a mixture of blue and black on farms, all sorts of stuff in my local Mole Valley. They sort of seem expensive especially if you have to buy a collection of bits, but once you realise they let you do a permanent job in minutes (up a ladder in a barn or in a muddy field) with rudimentary tools you realise they are good value after all.

Reply to
newshound

Has he said that? I guessed '60's because I knew black imperial sized alkathene was in use then.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

There's quite a lot of mixed blue and black when you look up from under Sandown Pier and it doesnt seem to be leaking. Wish I could say the same about my airing cupboard.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Early 70's really, if that would make much difference.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I am beginning to wonder if a simple lack of inserts inside the ends of the black stuff is the problem ?. You would have to dismantle it to prove one way or the other though.

Reply to
Andrew

Isnt the Black version the same as the Blue but with a UV inhibitor added. I used to use the Black where exposed to sunlight and the Blue were buried as it was cheaper in the 1990's.

Reply to
Robert

After much haranguing, the management company plumber came around yesterday with a handful of "new style, super quality" connectors and lengths of blue pipe. He converted the black and blue cocktail of pipework to all blue.

I hope that's cured the leakage problem but I must say that there are now so many connectors that the rising main pipework looks like a string of rosary beads.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack
<snip>

Hehe!