Right angled rj45 adaptors

Does anyone know why it is not possible to buy these? I can buy all types of HDMI and D type male/female adaptors but not RJ45. I did find some a couple of years ago I think, but they were unbelievably bulky and expensive. Please don't suggest right angled cables as they use up too much space.

Reply to
Capitol

Only one I've seen was female to female.

Dave Plowman (News)

If these plugs are going into wall plate sockets, I have seen ones that have the socket angled at 45deg. downwards this might do you. Unfortunately, I cannot remember where I saw these but a google might turn something up.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Is anyone else having trouble with that image? Optical illusion?

Sometimes when I look at it my brain interprets it inside-out and it makes no sense.

Even when it is correct the gold contacts look mangled. Perhaps they are.

Reply to
Graham.

In article , Capitol writes

Understand your wish to find the R/A conn but haven't seen them.

Looking at how the dims of connectors and shrouds would build up I can't see how it would be less than that an unbooted RJ45 conn followed but a tight bend which is how I worked it for a floor box installation with poor clearance.

Reply to
fred

En el artículo , Capitol escribió:

Probably because it would exceed the minimum bend radius of the cable, having an adverse effect on signal integrity.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

There would be no cable in an adaptor.

Reply to
Capitol

En el artículo , Capitol escribió:

*sigh* Pedant alert.

It's still a sharp bend exceeding the minimum radius of the conductors.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Since when can't you bend a piece of conducting metal through 90 degrees. once again, this is an adaptor! NO CABLE!

Reply to
Capitol

Surely the problem would be the insulation/spacing rather than the conductor itself?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yeah. Mike, think about the way a LAN socket is soldered into a circuit board. The angle between a pin going into the board and the track it goes into will be 90 degrees, and it happens in a fraction of a millimeter.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

More and more TVs are network connected and wall mounted. Close fitting precludes using straight cables, hence the proliferation of USB and HDMI adaptors. Right angled cat5 network cables are often too bulky to fit in the space and if you do use one, you need to be able to buy the correct length of a right angle terminated cable or use a straight adaptor with two cables or cut a cable and reterminate. A compact adaptor lets you easily terminate a length of cable with standard plugs.

Reply to
Capitol

It's the characteristic impedance, which depends on: The cross sectional geometry of the conductors The distance from ground plane(s) (if any) The permittivity of the medium (PCB, PVC, air)

AIUI the bend radius of cat5/6/etc is governed by the twists in the twisted pair becoming unbalanced, and the conductor becoming deformed, rather than the signal not liking the bend. The rule of thumb that I go by is that the bend radius starts becoming an issue on a PCB above about 20GHz - which isn't far off the harmonics of a 10Gbps pair (eg the track to an SFP+ cage on a 10gig NIC), but nowhere near the 100MHz plus harmonics of a gigabit ethernet signal. On a PCB you have much more control over conductor geometry than bending of random wires.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Even multiple kinks in CAT5 cable carrying gigabit Ethernet have no noticable effects on performance.

Obviously such kinks may become failure points for the individual conductors open circuit, short circuit cracked sheath/water ingress etc. so sharp bend and kinks should be avoided, in permanent wiring, but bends and kinks do not cause problems in of themselves.

Contrast this to coaxial cable where tight bends can cause serious problems.

I think the CAT5 kink myth came about because of the popular co-ax based 10BASE2 system that preceded it.

Reply to
Graham.

En el artículo , Graham. escribió:

How do you know? You certify every single run with a calibrated tester after installation? No? Thought not.

I personally have analysed installed cables with a TDR (time domain reflectomoter) and can assure you the effect of sharp bends and kinks is greater than you think.

Kinks and sharp bends cause signal reflections, impedance mismatches, increased crosstalk and signal loss.

You might get away with it with short runs but gigabit at longer lengths will not perform optimally. But you don't know that because retransmission of corrupted data is invisible - you just see a reduction in data transfer performance and blame that on something else.

It isn't a myth. Here's a pdf from one make of cat5/6 cable, I assure you they know far more about these things than you do.

Mike Tomlinson

We'll be having the use waveguide 'ere long;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Mike Tomlinson scribeth thus

Let them use Fibre!....

Good stuff that:-)...

Reply to
tony sayer

We've already do, just with THz not GHz waves. It turns out they steer better with glass than metal.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

'ere guv wot comes after glass;?....

Picturing the day when cosmic rays are used for comms round the office;)

tony sayer