RJ45 Cat5e plugs

I have been looking for some of the Cat5e RJ45 plugs to terminate a couple of lan cables. I bought some 2 part plugs, but they were too wide and wouldn't go into a standard RJ45 socket. I then bought some more RJ45 plugs , not 2 part tho', and they were the same, too wide for the socket.

The ones I bought were from Amazon, and they had good reviews and write ups, but not from me!

Any ideas as to what's going on with the said plugs, and I am no loath to buy any more in case they are the same.

Reply to
RobH

ooops , wrong group, apologies.

Reply to
RobH

As a thought, are you sure you are dealing with an RJ45 / LAN socket and not an RJ11 / Phone type socket?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Lan socket, cable tester, laptop and a netgear switch, where the plugs would not fit in any of them

Reply to
RobH

Sounds like you are trying to plug them into a socket that is not RJ45...

A RJ45 should be about 12mm wide, with 8 poles.

Reply to
John Rumm

A usb type A plug will *just*` fit into an ethernet socket, but not vice-versa , though I would expect someone who sets out to make up their own cable to know the difference!

I had to make up some 10P10C serial cables for an emulex terminal server a few years ago, slight confusion when you accidentally drag one of them out of the spare cables box and wonder why it doesn't fit.

Reply to
Andy Burns

and a 'figure of 8' mains connector will fit over 2 pins of an XLR3!

Reply to
charles

Nope, laptop RJ45 socket and cable tester RJ45,and a netgear switch RJ45

Reply to
RobH

Link to the ones you bought from Amazon?

Reply to
pcb1962

Yes I did

Reply to
RobH

Not in this thread you haven?t. Sounds like you?ve been sold some mislabelled plugs that aren?t RJ45.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Can I just ask that some of my cables, a couple I made up myself, and a couple I have bought,why they only light up led numbers 123 then 567. Now I have just found that the 2 I bought don't work plugged directly into my router lan socket then to my laptop.

If I remember right, a few years ago, the cables I made up myself, all the lights blinked 1-8, and do work fine.

Reply to
RobH

In article snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk>, charles snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk> scribeth thus

How do you find that out;?...

Reply to
tony sayer
<snip>

Strange. 3 pairs?

A 'basic' cable needs 1+2 and 3+6 as used in Cat3/5 and ideally with each in twisted pairs and correctly polarised.

That would be typical for Cat5e onwards with the same pinout as above but also with 4+5 and 7+8.

All straight though cables should test out as 1-1, pins 1 to 8.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

known it for years. Granada tv banned figure of 8 mains cables for that reason.

Reply to
charles

With four cables all showing the same fault I'd be suspicious of the tester. Have you checked that is working correctly.

With 1/2 and 3/6 connected they ought to work. Unless gigabit and the fall back to 100BaseT isn't working. Unless very old kit that doesn't do Auto MDI-X. Or modern kit with one of the ports not set to "auto".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Only two. The pairs are 1/2 3/6 4/5 7/8.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Except that 6 pins connected only indicates 3 pairs?

And I wasn't suggesting there were 3 pairs, just that's how it indicates.

I know, that's what I said. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Not entirely sure how to interpret that statement.... nope what?

If they are all RJ45, then RJ45 will fit. If something does not fit, then ISTM its not RJ45.

Reply to
John Rumm

myself,

No it only indicates 6 wires. How those 6 wires are divided into pairs is unknown from the information given.

Assumption that the tester is one of the cheap cyclic LED jobies and the the LEDS 1 2 3 - 5 6 7 - only light up ( - means no light up) in sequence and the same on the tester and remote unit.

As the RJ series only goes in even numbers of positions and we have a number 7 the conector is either an 8 position or 10 position one. A

10 position would not fit a network cable tester so we have an 8 position one. The cables being tested are supposed to be network ones so should be following T568A or T568B. Meaning that there are only two working pairs 1/2 and 3/6. 4/5 and 7/8 each have one leg missing so are not pairs.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice