Reviving flat camera battery

I have an 'Energizer' brand replacement battery for my Nikon camera.

Model ENEL9 Li-ion 7.4v 1000mAh (7.4Wh)

Left it in the camera unused too long and it is flat and won't charge.

Anything obvious I can do to revive it, or just dispose of and replace?

I still have the original battery so the camera is working.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

You MIGHT get a bit back by whacking 100mA through it and hoping.

what is it giving out as a voltage? if its less than 6V bin it

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If they get too low voltage then the self protection won't let you try to recharge it. A better outcome than having it explode or catch fire.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Since it's a single cell "battery", all the battery management circuitry can remain in the phone or camera itself, Allowing the battery to just be a simple 'battery'.

The likes of a 3 cell laptop battery contains additional circuitry to eliminate the risk of a battery fire either due to overcharging or else from over depletion (an over-depleted condition is _not_ good for the health of a Li Ion battery so needs to be avoided at all costs).

However, it the voltage hasn't dropped very far below the lower limit[1], you might be able to feed it a sufficient charge from a

100mA source for a few minutes sufficient to raise the battery voltage to an acceptable level for the camera or phone's charge controller (but be vigilent of any signs of overheating, at least for the first time you manage to revive the camera or phone charging circuit's interest). [1] Unfortunately, I only have the lower limit voltage figure of 2.4v per cell discharge cut off to go by. I'd guess that if the voltage has dropped to 2 volts or less, it's 'game over'. If you're looking at a 1 volt or lower open circuit reading, the cell can be regarded as finished without any lingering doubts.

offers some detail on this.

Reply to
Johny B Good

I've seen Dodos with more life :-(

Added to the recycle bucket for batteries.

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts