Cladding a low block wall

I have a low garden wall consisting of three courses of standard-size concrete blocks which I'd like to make look a bit less industrial. Does anyone have any recommendations? Has anyone used this sort of stone cladding:

or anything similar? Many thanks.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Render?

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Thanks for the suggestion. It's a possibility, of course, and I had considered it: but it's a shade plain.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Don't be tempted to "pattern" the render - usually looks *very* ugly and very 70's IME. However, plain render painted in a tasteful pastel or white or even deep colour depending on the surroundings can look very nice. Particularly if the render is rounded off on the edges rather than sharp-edged.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I will add one caveat - "lumpy" render can look OK with a whitewash style finish.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I shan't be. Someone along the street from me has done just this: a sort of Artex-on-a-wall effect only nothing like so regular or controlled. I thought at first it was an over-elaborate scratch coat and something else would be going on top, but evidently not. It really doesn't look very good.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

That is (or perhaps was) quite a popular finish in these parts and you're right, it looks not at all bad. I don't think it's correct for my application though.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Does it retain any garden or just a freestanding wall?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

It's the front wall of a raised bed 30 inches or so high (three courses of standard hollow concrete blocks). Does that make an appreciable difference as far as cladding it goes?

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

I have a low 4 course concrete block wall outside, which is the edge of my patio. To make that look more homley, I have let foliage just grow all over it so its covered more or less completely now.

Reply to
Bob H

Bert Coules scribbled...

That's high enough to consider drainage through the wall.

Reply to
Jabba

Not likely to be effective on a garden wall. Render it with cement and make some sort of pattern on the finish before it is set. And/or get a fancy ivy or similar to cover it.

What a horrid pretentious house BTW. Must be American. Only in America.

Reply to
harryagain

I noticed a council wall recently where they had crazy paved the faces. Looked ok in a park but probably naff in a domestic setting.

Reply to
stuart noble

Thanks to everyone for the new replies. Jabba, there is already drainage in place through another wall of the raised bed, so cladding of this particular side shouldn't have to accommodate it.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Stone cladding, as in stone slips / brick slips, is expensive £29-59/m2.

It might be cheaper to build a wall to your linking in front of the existin g, plenty of places do yorkstone split face for less than that. Issue is us ually pallet cost, altho shop around.

You could (I think) thincoat render, may need exp mesh, that can soften thi ngs. Just like painting render.

Reply to
js.b1

It is pricier than I first imagined.

That's certainly a possibility. Thanks.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

I wouldn't render or paint it without damp proofing it BTDTGTTS

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

That's something which hadn't occurred to me, so thanks.

I had to look that up. I appreciate the addition to my acronym connection.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

you're welcome Sir