Retaining wall/ garden remodel

Hi,

I?m taking a massive task on by remodelling my sloping garden and I?m not exactly a professional in landscaping etc. I?ve done plenty of research and watched numerous videos on how to do different parts. I?m generally good at most DIY jobs so I?m fairly confident.

Anyway my plan for the garden is in 2 sections. I?m doing the lower section first as it?s closest to my steps leading to the garden. My garden is behind a 6 foot retaining wall anyway as are all property?s on the estate. The garden slopes up about 20/30 degree incline.

I?ll level the bottom half with the steps which I?ve already done but the material is mainly clay which is terrible for drainage. Where I?ve cut down I?m going to set RSJs in concrete with a 2? lean 600mm into the ground on a layer of compact gravel with approx 950 above the ground. I?m going to add membrane followed by 80mm type 1 and compress is with a plate then 50mm sand compacted and finally artificial grass on top. Around the perimeter I was thinking of setting drainage channels in mortar (before the sand) to direct the water from the garden down the stairs to drain away. All graded with 2% slope to ensure water drains into the channels from the garden.

As for the wall I?ll be putting 1200x200x100 sleepers between the rsj. 4 rows = 800mm. Directly behind fabric will be placed to keep the soil separate from the gravel backfill. At the base I?ll add a layer of 3/4 gravel graded with a perforated pipe so water can be directed behind the wall into the channel and away from the garden. Will be filled to 6? below the top then covered by the fabric. Finally finished with top soil.

The top half is pretty much a repeat as the lower section but with a patio instead.

Please tell me thoughts behind my plans. Will they work or do I need to make improvements?

Thanks Danny

Reply to
dannydeane93

take a look at Cormaic's website (if you haven't already)

Andrew

Down my road, which is a hill, the most successful retaining walls are built like dams, ie curving inwards toward the uphill direction. Never seen one faill, but on the other side of the road, brick walls eventually give way due to the way the clay slides when it loaded with water. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

don't think I've ever read such an unclear & ambiguous description.

Reply to
tabbypurr

I?ve tried to go into as much detail as I can with what I?m trying to achieve. Saying it?s unclear and ambiguous doesn?t help me. Thanks

Reply to
dannydeane93