Resin fixing questions

Looking into resin fixings for awnings, given the wide use of bricks with 3 holes in instead of a frog.

First confusion, there are a few types of resin; Polyester, Styrene free Polyester and Vinylester.

Why would I need styrene free polyester?

The vinylester seems to be a fast curing type. I don't know how fast these things set?

Is it 'go for a cup of tea' or 'go for lunch' or 'come back in the morning' before you can apply a load?

It also seems that the 175ml will fit a standard sealant gun, but the

380ml won't?

Next, it seems that with hollow bricks I need the sleeves - is that right?

Further, the studs seem to have a hexagon drive. Whats that for?

Any info appreciated.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

and epoxy

you don't. IIRC its a toxic fume issue, bgut my memory's not 100% on that

I generally stick with epoxy. Its solid in an hour, safe to load fully in 24. Polyester car filler is way faster. That's resin plus filler (ie powder)

Just get the gun that fits the tubes. Epoxy uses a double barrel gun. Cox ones are very nice.

Injecting resin into a hollow brick means it falls out.

there's quite a lot to read on the subject. Check out the West System epoxy manual. Or you could just get one of each and try them.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

It's a cancer risk thing, I think.

Go for lunch, I'd say. The ones I've used have been immovably set within 10 or 15 mins. But it would be dependent on how much you are going to stress it, as no doubt there is a curve. I imagine most things are not at their ultimate full strength for lots of hours, but are very strong much sooner. You'd need to look at the spec sheet.

Big fat gun for the 380ml type. But worth it if you are going to do a few.

The usual aim with that sort of thing is to build up a bigger plug behind the drill hole (which can't be pulled back through once it has set), rather than filling the entire hollow chamber in the brick with expensive glorp (which would be hard to acheive reliably anyway).

It helps to screw the fixing in to the wet gloop to get the most intimate contact - otherwise you have to bash them in (assuming a hole into solid material) towards the end to displace the glorp which has been plunged down to the end of the hole as the fixing is inserted.

Cleanliness is paramount with these things by the way. If you have a compressor, a good few blasts with a airline gun with a long nozzle works well, otherwise they sell manual blow things and brushes and such. Although in your case actually that's probably less critical as the plug effect isn't so reliant on the bond with the drill-hole itself.

Reply to
Bolted

I'd agree. The initial set is in about 10-15 mins (Fischer, forget which subtype, but it was a vinylester). This is a good time to trim anything off with a sharp knife as it is rubbery.

I'd personally give it an hour after which you would be safe for a test fit, minimum load. Leave for a few hours to be safe before applying full load or tightening the bolts up hard.

I did get the little blower pump, but a can of computer type air-in-a-can duster spray would probably be very effective.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

An old tip when fixing something with a light frame before the full load goes on (say a wallplate) is to let it go off partially, then fit the frame with nuts just spun on but untightened, this means that any slight hole alignment issues can be sorted before the stuff sets rock hard. I don't know if Dave's awnings (I see a brand name ;-) have subframes or not that could take advantage of this.

Slowly turning the stud as it goes in (as if screwing it into the wall) will ensure that the threads are fully coated to the root in resin without voids.

When using glass capsule resin inserts (don't ever use these), you spin the stud to mix the resin, not too little (as it will be a weak joint through incomplete mixing) and not too much (as the mix can go off prematurely through heat and the torque can destroy the bond).

I'd recommend brush and air (bottled air is much better than a bent straw btw) as some kinds of stone/brick dust will bind together and not be blown out by the air but can weaken the resin if disturbed when spinning in the stud.

It's not a bottle brush for this btw, it's a teapot brush, just the right size. The cheap plastic handle will break off after 2 holes, then put a right angle bend at the end as a good torquey handle.

One set of purpose made studs I have put in looked as if they had residual oil on them so I've solvent cleaned any that I have put in since.

Reply to
fred

Why don't use them?

NT

Reply to
Tabby

I'd like to know as well. They seem the best way from what I've looked at. What are the problems?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Me too. I've used them with great success.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Don't get the problem with "too much" spinning. The mix cures by heat generated from the chemical reaction. Hot weather may make it set prematurely, but not much else.

That is good advice.

Reply to
stuart noble

Their strength is their long shelf life and precise metering but their weakness is also their precise metering. If anything contrives to give you a slightly oversize or overlength hole then it will be underfilled resulting n a weaker joint and leaving a gap for potential moisture ingress promoting damp penetration and corrosion of stud if not stainless.

With gunned resin you can compensate for fluctuations in hole size by adding more or less goop. If you don't have to have precise holes then you can get a job done lot quicker.

I've also had the back surface of a single brick spall off leaving me a backless hole. I couldn't have used a capsule there but I could use the gun.

For the inexperienced, there's also the, have I spun the stud enough to mix it but not overmixed it factor, not always easy to judge.

I wouldn't use them again.

Reply to
fred

I wouldnt use them either, because of the price. Epoxy by the cart is far cheaper, and the other resins cheaper still.

In case anyone's trying resin for the first time, if a hole lacks enough resin, it can be solved by just sticking something in it, like a small brass screw or part of a plastic wallplug. This can reduce the high strength of the bond a little, but its not normally an issue.

NT

Reply to
Tabby