REQUEST - very rough estimate of cost of a garden wall

Evidently you need to look closer, I don't see two skins...

Reply to
Jim K...

So the returns on the gateposts mean there are two skins?

Reply to
Jim K...

Ah..even more clearly visible now is the rendered block? inner skin of the wall on the other side of the corner...

Reply to
Jim K...

As my last post presumably?

Reply to
Jim K...

A friend, in his travels, has seen the garden wall shown at https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4068566,-0.2622599,3a,75y,319.35h,91.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sagK6qUvm3-FD3YIqYUQQcw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&authuser=0and wants a similar wall to be built where he now lives.

The wall is evidently mostly two thin brick walls, perhaps with ties between, and with a sufficient layer of earth at the top between, and something to hold that layer up, and maybe drainage - most of that is guessed. In the picture, it is growing little bushes.

We would like to know VERY ROUGHLY what the cost might be for 20 metres of such a wall, with earth but not plants, so as to choose between "We can easily afford that", "We must investigate further", and "Far too expensive, we'll do something else".

Failing that, we would like to know what that sort of wall is properly called, to help with our Google/Wikipedia research.

Reply to
Dr S Lartius

Look here:

The OP is correct.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Yes; I had seen the wall before, including before it had plants!

I just met a builder, by chance, who said that bricklaying costs at least £1 per brick, so I'll get a minimum value from the surface area of the proposed wall divided by the surface area of the side of a brick.

Wall say 60 feet long by 3 feet high by 2 sides = 360 sq ft. Leaning out of window with tape measure, brick+mortar is 9 ins by 3 ins, calculator says 360*144/27 = 1920 - for bricklaying alone ~ £2000 minimum.

Google swiftly finds that ordinary good bricks are about £1 each, so another £2000 for bricks. Then there's foundations, requiring digging up a 40-yr old unkempt hedge and I suppose pouring concrete, buying earth ...

Total, therefore, at least several thousand pounds. Any improvements for the above?

Reply to
Dr S Lartius

I suspect that price is all-in, for laying commons. No way does just the labour cost £1/brick unless a bricky is earning £500 a day nowadays.

Reply to
ben

I'm not sure what screen you are using, but on my PC in the middle of the shot you can see the second skin as it is visible through a gap in the planting.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Or from here you can see the ?inside? of the wall and the hedge now appears ?outside? indicating that it?s between walls.

Tim+

Somebody in my road seems to have put some terra cotter narrow planters on top of a wall, tend not sure how, secured them to said wall with a tiny gap, one assumes for drainage and then has plants that flow over the sides to make it look like its all one wall.There are pillars at either end, as high as the top of the planter. I suspect the issue they may have is when there is little rain, but since I cannot see in detail these days, I'm not even sure its still there. I had considered this myself, but it looked too much like hard work or too much expense at the time. grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

A much simpler link for such posts is

Just click on the three dots to the right of the street adress and select 'Share or embed image'. Then copy the link

Reply to
Terry Casey

View of the end of the wall, showng construction:

Terry Casey

I'm intrigued now. What is it about the house next door (across the side road) that has led Google to blur it all out?

Reply to
Andrew May

The owner has told Google that they mustn't show their property in detail. There are often gaps in the Google coverage.

For example, I was preparing a map for a CAMRA pub crawl a few months ago but a section of road over 300m long gidn't exist. You could approach from the south but when you gor so far, that was it. The same coming from the north. I try to make the map as accurate as possible butcouldn't find the precise location for the pub. I found it on on Open Streetmap and guess what? There was a primary school directly opposite!

I looked at various other schools in the area and no problem, so it was obviouly blocked following a specific demand.

Reply to
Terry Casey

I think it looks horrible though. I'd wonder whether it is full of earth, or just has a trough at the top. If I *were* building such a thing I'd be inclined to make it from 9 inch blocks with a brick facing at the front only.

Reply to
newshound

So basically it's a big plant pot?

Reply to
ARW

has 4:-)

Reply to
ARW

Thanks. I used to know how to do that, before Maps was "improved". In Map view, use the three dashes to the left of the address, and select similarly.

Q1. Is it expected that the condensed form will give the same result for as long as Google Maps exists?

Q2. How do they arrange that, when I drop the little man in Maps onto a location, the initial View is always facing in the opposite direction to what I want?

Reply to
Dr S Lartius

This one near me looks like it would be strong enough to protect an embassy:

To my eye is simply seems out of scale for its position, and is only slightly "softened by the planting".

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon