Replacing single gang plastic switch plate - HELP, PLEASE!

I'm trying to replace the existing plastic coverplates with more funky metal ones.

This photo shows the front of the plate I'm trying to replace:

photo shows the back of the plate I'm trying to replace:
photo shows the back of the replacement plate:
I got the wrong replacement plate? If so, what do I need to ask for? If not, how do I wire up the new plate?

Thanks

Edward

Reply to
Edward

Looks like it, the original seems to be a changeover type, is it one of (at least) three switches controlling one (or more) light?

A 1 Gang intermediate light switch, but good luck finding them if your metal switchplate is too fancy.

Don't forget, you must also run an extra earth (sheathed in green/yellow) from where the existing earth terminates in the back box, to the earth terminal on the new metal switchplate.

Reply to
Andy Burns

No, not necessarily, but you will have to wire it up a bit differently. I am a bit worried about the current switch - I cant make out if its a full 2 pole isolator, or a changeover with an extra common terminal.

What is written on the terminals please?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As Andy has already said, the original is an *intermediate* switch for a two way circuit, all four terminals are required for the correct operation of the existing circuit.

Reply to
Jerry

Ah.. mea culpa.

I'd forgotten intermediates..

I think senility is setting in.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks (replying from GG as my OE seems to have given up).

Do I need to add the earth wire for ALL the metal plates?

Thanks

Edward

Reply to
teddysnips

Yes, otherwise think what could happen if a live wire comes loose from its terminal and touches the plate?

Reply to
Andy Burns

it should earth through the screws to the box to some extent, but to be totally safe add an earth to any metal fitting in the lighting circuit . unless you don't have one as in my mothering-laws house and all the fittings were brass, switches, ceiling roses, wall lights it an accident waiting to happen

Reply to
Kevin

The MiL So is that waiting to or hoping to happen?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

'fraid so.

You need an intermediate switch (and some red sleeving to slip over the black wires).

Reply to
Andy Wade

The original *could* be an intermediate switch. But equally, could it not just be a two-pole on/off switch which switches both live and neutral?

If that is the case, unless the neutral *needs* to be switched, the OP could simply join the black wires together and connect the reds to COM and L1 or L2.

Reply to
Roger Mills

The front of it only showed a single switch.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not two-gang - a single-gang double-pole switch.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Indeed! I never mentioned gangs! A two *pole* switch can be operated by a single rocker.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Ah yes, I see what Roger meant, but I wouldn't really say it was equally likely, the lack of sleeving doesn't help clarify it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Double-pole switching for lighting would be quite unusual in an ordinary household installation. Apart from which the word "intermediate" - visible on the rear moulding in the photo - is something of a clue.

Reply to
Andy Wade

have you met my MIL then :-) sometimes I could plug her in

Reply to
Kevin

You've got better eyesight than me, then! I blew up the picture but still couldn't read the word which *may* be 'intermediate' with any certainty.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Unless, of course, the blacks *are* neutrals - in which case no sleeving would be needed.

But I accept that it is somewhat unlikely that a 2-pole switch would be used in this context.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Why don't you just slap a meter across it?

Reply to
Brass Monkey