My microwave has power,light and rotates but doesn't heat! Is it a write-off?

As it says above basically, my 2 yr old panasonic digital microwave has given up it's primary function of heating food. Is it worth repairing, it only cost 70 quid and can possibly get a replacement for cheaper these days. If I thought it was a simple fuse or something I'd have ago at changing it. Any suggestions?

Reply to
jgkgolf

First thing to check is the plug. Make sure all connections in the plug are made off correctly and are tight. If it's a moulded plug, check the flex for damage from the plug to the casing of the oven. If the cable is damaged, get someone to replace it for you. Remember that engineers have to be licensed to work on microwave cooking appliances.

Reply to
BigWallop

If its under warranty, get it fixed. If it sn;t, by all means take it apart and look for something obvious, but my guess is that to fox something like that - its likely a blown microwave ptube, or power supply, will mena a long wait for parts not available, and a lot of labour.

Ditch it and buy a 50 quid one.

Mines been going for years...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ummm.did you read the subject line?

Reply to
Bob Eager

must be a multi way plug :-) as its only the heating not working

Reply to
Kevin

Unless it's still under warranty I would suggest that it's 'beyond economical repair', with labour you'll end up paying more a replacement will cost, the fact that most of the functions work suggest that the megatron has expired - just wondering if someone has tried heating foil rapped mince pies... :~o

Reply to
Jerry

Yes they are repairable but you need to know what you are doing, to be able get parts at trade prices and diy; otherwise with with new microwave ovens on the market from £25 upwards, repair does not make economic sense.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Under what law, and who is the licensing authority?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

What is model number. Does it have the words Inverter System on the front? tip: make sure any replacement you buy doesn't!

Reply to
Graham.

In message , BigWallop writes

Only if it's gas powered ...

Reply to
geoff

I think you have been watch too much sci-fi

"the megatron has expired"

pmsl!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Fairly obvious he meant magnetron isn't it?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

has given up it's primary function of heating food.

replacement for cheaper these days.

changing it.

First, beware of asking electronics questions on ukdiy, this is not a group filled with electronics people, and the above answers are the result.

Microwave failing to heat is usually any of the magnetron, transformer, HV rectifier, control board or interlock problems. They're perfectly fixable in many cases, but it doesnt sound like you know how.

You need to read this first:

the one failure thats common and cheap & easy to repair is the rectifier, so if you can deal with the safety stuff but dont have the other skills, replacing that is a reasonably good option.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I hope you weren't including me in that old boy. A two year old Panasonic is likely to have an IGBT inverter. I thought it wise to eliminate this possibility before giving advice on the conventional 3 component "voltage doubler" PSU circuit viz. transformer rectifier and capacitor.

Reply to
Graham.

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Bob Minchin saying something like:

It does if it's a decent make, because the cheap ones are utter shit and I'll not buy another one.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com saying something like:

sci.electronics.repair and have a root around for the faq with a lot of instructions on howtos for various domestic appliances, including m/waves. In fact, here y'go.

Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Champ saying something like:

Would he dare to?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Yes Andy, I did manage to interpret what he meant but what credibility does a reply have when the name of a basic component is wrong? Having repaired many microwaves in my time, I have never had to change a magnetron. Faults tend to be controller/timers, power supply diodes and capacitors, door interlocks and the odd fuse or two.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

More credibility than the person who picked up on a simple/silly spelling mistake, could it be that the spelling was got wrong because the person making the mistake can't always work out the correct spelling (even with the aid of a spell checker [1]) because of dyslexia - of course 'Mr Perfects' like you are to far up your own arses to grasp the concept that not everyone is as perfect as you are...

[1] there really is a need for a context driven spell checker
Reply to
Jerry

A microwave oven should last more than 2 years. Irrespective of the guarantee period tell the retailer (not manufacturer) that under the various sale of goods legislation you want it fixed or a 60 percent refund.

Reply to
Invisible Man