Replacing PCV Gutter rubber seals (2023 Update)

All

My 15 (ish) year old guttering is leaking at the joints.

Based on some Googling about, it appears to be Osma squareline but I think they've changed the design. the rubber seals on mine are 10mm width and the new stuff seems to be substantially wider (with a corresponding wider recess to fit it in.

Does anyone know if the old seals are still available or would it be a simpler task to just replace the joints?

Thanks

Steven

Reply to
Steven Langdale

I just replaced some of the seals on my Hepworth squareline guttering ... they are around 10mm ... try them.

If you want me to take actual measurements o fone let me know.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Perfect! thats the stuff :) Much appreciated.

Reply to
Steven Langdale

replying to Rick Hughes, Steven Clucas wrote: Hi, I just found this old thread when searching for replacement Hepworth gutter seals, and am having similar problems locating replacement seals. My seals are a sort of "figure of 8" shape in profile, and measure about 8mm wide by 5mm deep.

Please could you let me know where you managed to buy these replacement seals, so I can check if they're the same as the ones I need? (I couldn't see any links to websites in the above posts).

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steven Clucas

tabbypurr

Steve, I've just had some gutter seals repaired. I didn't do it myself, as I have no head for heights. The guy who did it used some mastic. It seems to be holding.

I don't think Rick Hughes will be replying.

Reply to
GB

The problem with replacing the rubber seals (if you could get them) is the PVC goes very brittle with age and would likely split when attempting to clip it together with new ones. So a mastic is probably the best bet.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's one of the myriad recommended uses for CT1, it'll stick when wet, had good strength and remains elastic.

Reply to
Andy Burns

replying to Andy Burns, Steven Clucas wrote: Many thanks for the replies, I'll definately consider the Mastic / CT1 option. And apologies for annoying anybody by replying to an old thread, on an "incorrect" forum!

Reply to
Steven Clucas

It seems to have worked, so I wouldn't worry too much. :)

Reply to
GB

Never used that, but have bodged gutters and downpipes with "ordinary" exterior mastic in the past, it doesn't last particularly well (but fine if you just need a quick fix).

Reply to
newshound

I found an excellent silicone rubber non setting one in Wicks. Said to stick to near anything. Seems to last pretty well too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just seen this, I bought seals from Wavin Plastics … they acquired Hepworth. The replacements were thicker, and softer, expanded foam…. End on it’s like 2 hollow squares joined as you say in figure of 8. Did you manage to get seals ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I disagree, the seals are designed to allow guttering to slide over them as they expand and contract in the sun ... fixing with mastic will prevent that ... likely force a leak elsewhere.

Reply to
rick

How old was this original post, I wonder, well expired. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Appreciate it was an old post but someone specifically mentioned my name - so hence the follow up.

Reply to
rick

It was, but as my name was specifically mentioned, provided the update - may help others.

Reply to
rick

Old post I know - but still comes up in the search for Hepworth seals., for benefit of others ..

Update ... had a response from WAVIN (they bought Hepworth) They no longer stock seals for Hepworth. They suggested that the OSMA StormLine Gutter Seal 8T864. It is similar being 6mm thick,, and if split down middle lengthwise .... one would make a pair for Hepworth fittings.

Reply to
rick

It would have helped if you provided context:

Fredxx

It was in reply to an article dared 1 August 2016.

Reply to
Jeff Layman