Replacing upvc window rubber seals

I'm looking to replace the rubber seals on the opening sections of some nine year old UPVC windows. I have no idea who installed these units, but I guess the seals must be almost universal ? or maybe each manufacturer (thousands of 'em) has their own design ? Any advice gratefully received. Thanks CB

Reply to
cb

old UPVC

universal ? or

Most apparently have the seals built into the frames, but we have some from St Helens Glass where the seal is simply a strip of neoprene poked into the gap in the frame, which was overstretched when installed and has pulled away quite a lot at most corners.

Still haven`t managed to locate a source (only looked "casually" though, not in earnest)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

old UPVC

I'm assuming that you are talking about the EPDM seal between the sash and the fixed frame rather than the gasket which seals the glass into the sash?

Not universal, but not thousands either. There are variations in shape and size but your replacement need not be identical to the old seal. You could remove a small sash by simply unscrewing the friction stays (hinges). Take it to a local fabricator and ask if he could replace the seals with a new acceptable version. There is a good chance that you will find someone in your area who could make a match. The replacement is easy, so you might be able to buy the length you need to do the complete job at quite low cost.

Reply to
Ziggur

Colin Wilson wrote: we have some

I've had the same thing happen on the internal seals on our windows. You can just take them out and stretch them back (try an inconspicuous one first!). A dab of Pritt is sometimes useful for keeping them in place while they 'settle'. The outer ones are part of the beading and that has to removed and the seals slide out (although they havn't receded in the way the inner ones have).

Reply to
Rory

thanks for the reply - I think i`d rather just replace the internal seals completely though if I can get hold of the damn stuff - at least that way they wouldn`t be overstretched !

Reply to
Colin Wilson