Rejuvenating uPVC window seals

I have PVC windows about 15 years old. The windows and glass are good (no warping), but the seals are not working properly. Is there any way I can rejuvenate the seals, to get them a little more flexible again?

The seals look to be black rubber of some sort, V-shaped, with a little T-protrusion hanging off one side that slips into a groove on the window frame (kind of like this: V+). The seals have basially closed up through being closed over the years. Can they be softened so that they open up again? Is there anywhere to buy new seals from (I've looked everywhere - no-one seems able or willing to supply a consumer).

In the meantime, the winter wind howls through the gaps around these windows. The gap that needs sealing is about 6mm (same seals used inside and outside), and the V-shaped seals have closed to about 5mm. I can't see anywhere to stick on any additional seals.

-- JJ

Reply to
Blueyonder

In message , Blueyonder writes

OK, lets have clue, what does 'everywhere ' encompass?

Reply to
chris French

| I have PVC windows about 15 years old. The windows and glass are good (no | warping), but the seals are not working properly. Is there any way I can | rejuvenate the seals, to get them a little more flexible again? | | The seals look to be black rubber of some sort, V-shaped, with a little | T-protrusion hanging off one side that slips into a groove on the window | frame (kind of like this: V+). The seals have basially closed up through | being closed over the years. Can they be softened so that they open up | again? Is there anywhere to buy new seals from (I've looked everywhere - | no-one seems able or willing to supply a consumer). | | In the meantime, the winter wind howls through the gaps around these | windows. The gap that needs sealing is about 6mm (same seals used inside and | outside), and the V-shaped seals have closed to about 5mm. I can't see | anywhere to stick on any additional seals.

Can you go back to the original suppliers and buy replacement seals?

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop
15 years old they are near the end of their designed life. Time to replace them. Wood lasts longer.

cheers Jacob

Reply to
owdman

| 15 years old they are near the end of their designed life. Time to | replace them. Wood lasts longer.

But it is *not* the UPVC which is causing problems, only the seals

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

It includes many local window suppliers and several hours on Google. None of them want to supply any parts or replacements (presumably because I would then realise just how cheap these things are to manufature) but they will, of course, send someone around to give me a quote for new windows.

-- JJ

Reply to
Blueyonder

That's right, the PVC seems to be in good shape (none of it is coming apart, cracked, warped, etc).

-- JJ

Reply to
Blueyonder

Alas, they are no longer around. Even if I do end up replacing the windows (and I would I some point, I guess) then some new seals that would get me through a couple of winters so I can save up for them, would be useful.

-- JJ

Reply to
Blueyonder

Yebbut even if you replace the seals it is likely that other deteriorations will start to show - most likely the misting up of DG units as the edge seals fail - has this not already started?

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
owdman

They have started misting up on the inside (in the house, not between the two layers). But then, they would, because the seals have gone ;-)

I just think spending a couple of hundred quid now is a worthwhile investment before forking out thousands for new windows. It may pay off, it may just highlight other problems, but so long as it keeps us a little more snuggly over this winter, I'll be happy.

-- JJ

Reply to
Blueyonder

| >> That's right, the PVC seems to be in good shape (none of it is coming | >> apart, | >> cracked, warped, etc). | >>

| > Yebbut even if you replace the seals it is likely that other | > deteriorations will start to show - most likely the misting up of DG | > units as the edge seals fail - has this not already started? | | They have started misting up on the inside (in the house, not between the | two layers). But then, they would, because the seals have gone ;-) | | I just think spending a couple of hundred quid now is a worthwhile | investment before forking out thousands for new windows. It may pay off, it | may just highlight other problems, but so long as it keeps us a little more | snuggly over this winter, I'll be happy.

A bodge which would work for a winter would be to get something thick enough to fill the gap: wood, acrylic, plastic, aluminium, and twinstick it onto the UPVC which the seal beds onto. Not IMO a long term solution.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

The problem is that the seal has lost its elasticity - the window shuts with a clunk, and I can't feel any 'give' on the seal. Filling up the gap with something solid is likely to just make the window harder to close.

The seals are not what they used to be, just like a car tyre tends to change over time. Like a car tyre, I would like to replace or rejuvanate the part that is worn out or defective. I can buy a new car tyre or I can buy a remound. I'm unlikely to buy a new car just because the tyres are worn. In the case of the windows, the rubber is not actually worn, it has just changed its properties a little. If I could go to B&Q and just buy a new seal, I would do so, but it is not something that seems to be sold on its own. If the rubber (or whatever type of flexible plastic it is) has lost something - perhaps dried out - and can be rejuvenated in some way to get its flexibility back, then I would try that too.

-- JJ

Reply to
Blueyonder

I had a large Magnet window installed in the (south facing) kitchen. It started rotting in the sill within 10 years despite being kept painted. It then became a yearly process cutting out the rot and letting in new wood.

I'm very happy with the Screwfix UPC one I replaced it with. It's still like brand new after 3 years.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There is a product claimed to do this for 'rubber' seals on car doors etc. But I can't remember the name. I'll have a look through some cats. this after - got to go out now. Or you could try having a look in Halfords or a good accessory shop.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Rubber Seals..... Try these guys.

will send you a small sample if you ask.

Baz

Reply to
Baz

What about this??

Baz

The seals one mine are V shaped, with a tounge on the back to locate them in a groove in the frame. To ovecome a similar problem I packed out the centre of the V with a strip of self adhesive foam draught proofing strip. It has worked well so far (several years).

Reply to
<me9

Any of these look like it?

not it's worth phoning them - they're very helpful even although basically a classic car trim supplier.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

They've certainly been well recommended here, also try:

Motor Rubber & Trim

Reply to
fred

Excellent idea! I've a big roll of that foamy stuff. Will definately give that a try :-)

-- JJ

Reply to
Blueyonder