Plugs Agan

When I saw the title of the post from Goodolpete I thought I might have got some useful advice on the topic of kitchen sink plugs. His problem being different to mine, it prompted me to ask: -

About 3 or 4 years ago I renewed the kitchen sink. I installed one with plug devices with built in strainer. Now the rubber seals have perished and leak.

Anyone have the same experience, and any idea of where to get replacements ?

Here is a pic of the offending articles and you can see some of my effort to make them seal.

original was bought at "Been and Queued" and they can offer no help in obtaining seals. The sink carries an "AstraCast" logo. They were no help either, as they do not make the drain fitting. The drain fitting was not part of the sink, of course, and I have no manufacturer details about that item, other than the fact it came from B&Q. The current equivalent from B&Q, is a slightly different design, and the plug does not seal. The rubber on those is a much smaller diameter. I was actually given one, by the assistant when I went to enquire. (I did make a bit of a fuss to be honest, complaining that something bought so recently could not be serviced, with a replacement seal) The one that I was given, barely slowed the egress of water from the sink!

I feel disinclined to dismount and replace the whole lot. It is on a sink unit with dual bowls, and the inconvenience as well as the cost would be not inconsiderable. Beside which the units should be serviceable.

I suspect that I am not the only one to have encountered this problem. Any ideas please?

Alan

Reply to
Alan (BigAl)

Interesting that our plug and drain assembly came in an Astracast branded bag... Surely changing just the top part of the drain and the plug as a unit is not that onerous? If you do then the pair are cheap enough on Ebay:

Lee

> The original was bought at "Been and Queued" and they can offer no help in

They only look like O rings. Can't you just change them?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Its a standard waste set, you can go into any plumbers merchants and get a replacement waste for not many quids. Re O rings only, you can buy O rings, but IIRC the rubber profile on those things isn't round, so its a case of try and see.

NT

Reply to
NT

buy O rings, but IIRC the rubber profile on those things isn't round, so its a case of try and see.

The O rings are what I had in the garage, that I was trying to use to make it seal. The original seals are a profiled ring with a wide flappy edge which actually forms the closure.

Alan

Reply to
Alan (BigAl)

> Lee

Thanks for the link Lee, but 2 of those, (double bowl units) comes to £30. That is rather more than I want to pay, when what is needed is a rubber seal for which £1 would be reasonable.

How long have you had yours installed? Do they still make a good seal?

Alan

Reply to
Alan (BigAl)

About 4 years and in truth, I don't know if they still seal properly - we hardly ever use the sink with the plug "in" as everything fits in the dishwasher...

Lee

Reply to
Lee

yes, hence a new O ring is a gamble. Otherwise jsut pay teh =A34 or 5 for a new waste set from any plumbers merchant - price from memory, could be off.

NT

Reply to
NT