Advise on replacing shower pump

Hi,

Our shower pump has started playing up today (Newteam Varispeed 50 duel impeller). The water flow wasnt about half of what it normally is, so thinking it was an air-lock, I switched it off and set the speed up to max and switched it on again. I have done this in the past a couple of times, but this time nothing happened when I switched it on. As I was dripping wet, I thought better of digging any further (water and electrics !) so continued with the shower (a pathetic dribble) with the power off. When I went to investigate, it started working ! My wife went for her shower after and the same thing happened again.

It sounds like an over heating problem. The pump was installed in 98 and is in the airing cupboard.

Is there anything I can do about this ? I am guessing not as there doesnt seem to be much to replace and I suspect that any parts would probably cost close to a new pump.

I was thinking of replacing it. My preference would be for something that will replace it without any pipe alterations. The Newteam varispeed is still made, so that would be ideal, but I was also looking at the Duraspeed. This has the benifit of being rated for constant use (appears to have a built in fan). The only downside it that it requires its feed pipes to be straigh, whereas the Varispeed are bent through 90deg. The connectors on the pump are in the same location, its just the flexi pipes that are supplied have a built in right angle. Is there any reason why I couldnt just use the existing flexi connectors and just swap out the pump.

TIA

Alan

Reply to
AlanC

I had a similar problem with my Mira Event power shower but decided to call in an electrician. He found that the built in pump was faulty and also the filter was partially blocked. After obtaining a replacement pump and fitting it nothing happened so he phoned Mira who told him that the electronic control board usually requires replacing as well. He got the replacement and everything worked again. This may help you to decide what to do Blair

Reply to
Blair Malcolm

In article , AlanC writes

I had a newteam pump a few years ago (not varispeed though) and it became intermittent due to worn brushes on the pump motor. At that time you could get spare brushes from them, I don't know if you still can.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

I have had similar problems with two showers.

The first would consistently work OK to start with then after a minut of running would slow up and then degenerate to a pathetic dribble, a you so aptly put it. The problem was with the inlet filters in th shower mixer (Mira Excel) which had become blocked with small gritt bits. Once cleaned the problem went away.

The problem with the other which uses a Varispeed 50 pump, was found after much head scratching, to be worn carbon brushes. That was in De

2002 after about 7 years of running. New Team sent me a set for £11.7 including VAT and P&P. Last month the same thing occurred, so I wen straight in and found the brushes worn again. New Team were excellen and still had my details on their database. This time there was n charge!

To change the brushes you have to take the pump apart - lots of screw (38 in all) but not too difficult. If you need to get the pump to workbench to work on it more easily, you will have to disconnect th electric lead (after isolating it from the supply!).

The only thing to watch out for is that the two white (?) plasti impellors have opposite threads, so one unscrews clockwise and th other anticlockwise. This is a design requirement to prevent one o them from unscrewing itself when in action if they both had the sam thread, but caused me some bother before I figured that out.

The other problem I had was that while trying to get the old rubbe washer out of one of the plastic hose connectors that screw onto th pump body, the shaft of the connector sheared off. I had to buy a ne flexible hose to replace the damaged one.

To access the brush housing I had to partially pull out the motor fro the pump body until the old brush unit was visible, and can b extracted.

The new carbon brushes are supplied clamped into their housing. T release them gently prise up the lug on the brass body of the uni until they spring free. Insert the new unit and push the electrica connector clip through the hole in the plastic brush unit housing.

Is it worth doing? In my opinion the first time, yes. New Team advis that as the pump gets older the brushes wear down quicker. This i probably due to wear in the armature. Also, when I changed the brushe a second time I was concerned that the rubber shaft seals might als need changing, and sure enough after a month of running the pum started to leak.

The seals were £10 each, so with VAT and P&P it would be £29. I decide to go for a new pump, especially after New Team suggested that havin got 10 years out of a pump designed to last for a lot less, I was doin well!

After a thorough check on the Internet I found a supplier who charge £138, including delivery and VAT. Not the cheapest but they coul deliver by next day, which they did despite the order being placed a

4pm.

The new model was exactly the same dimensions as the old, so there wa no need to re-plumb, as I used the existing hoses. The old fitting were reluctant to screw onto the new pump threads, but I managed t coax them on.

The shower appears to be working well so far. I am running it o maximum speed. Not too sure why it is designed to run at slower speeds but I imagine that could be useful for seaside B&B landladies who wan to save on hot water!

Now if I can only stop my Mira 723 shower mixer from sticking when i is being turned off??.

-- Brian Macfarland

Reply to
Brian Macfarland