Replacing kitchen taps

In the old days I would have shut off the main stop-c*ck and turned on all the cold taps to drain the pipes. Similarly, the hot water cylinder had a red-wheeled gate valve that I could shut off and then turn on all the hot taps to drain those pipes.

Now, the cylinder has been done away with and we have a combi boiler. I need to replace the kitchen sink and taps so what do I do now - presumably just turn off the main stop-c*ck and opening both hot and cold taps around the house will do the job to allow me to replace the taps?

Sorry to ask such a basic question but it's the first time since the combi was fitted that I've had to do such a thing :o)

John.

Reply to
John

shut off any or all the valves in the loft tank. run the kitchen only hot and cold tap until dry. then replace it and turn back on the water.

Reply to
noelogara

Thanks for the quick reply Noel. We haven't got a loft tank but I'll assume that the rest of your post holds good and do that. Cheers mate,

John.

Reply to
John

Yes. Don't forget to install isolation valves on the new pipework, so you don't have to drain down next time (you should still turn off the stopcock in case it goes wrong).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

You're lucky the gate valve actually worked when needed. ;-)

Yes - just turn off the main and drain at the kitchen taps - any water above those should drain via them, although it will be a good idea to open other ones to prevent air trapping water until the worst moment. ;-)

I'd also fit full bore valves in the feeds to the taps so that next time isolation is local rather than turning off the whole house.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh no. I couldn't read any more. He will tell him to put a pump on the kitchen tap.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

What loft tank? He has a combi.

Yawn.