Replacing Kitchen (monobloc?) tap

Hi I have a leaking kitchen tap (into the cupboard underneath the sink), and am going to replace it. It is the sort that has a long swan neck and the h & c controls are on either side of the single fitting. Is this a monobloc tap? Anyway it is very awkward to get to behind the sink from underneath. I have never replaced one of this type before, and can't see how it is fixed to the sink unit. From above there seems to be no fixing screw, so it must be fastened underneath? Before I get underneath for a good look, can anyone tell me how these are fixed (and removed). Any special tools needed? The pipe plumbing seems to be bog standard 15 mm copper, so no worries there, it's just the method of fixing the tap unit to the sink that's unfamiliar. Thanks for any help Neil

Reply to
Gripper

Yes it sounds like a monobloc, last time I fitted a monobloc tap it was just held on by a nut underneath, the easiest way to get to this is by using an adjustable basin wrench (follow link below). Hope this helps

snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com

Reply to
Jason

On the base (underside) of the tap there are usually three threaded holes, two are either 10mm or 12mm threaded these are for the feed pipes and one is a smaller (8mm??) threaded hole. Into this goes a short length of threaded bar, the tap then goes through the sink hole, and a 'half moon' shaped rubber washer and a 'half moon shaped steel washer go onto this threaded bar, rubber one against the underside of the sink. The whole thing is then tightened with a 11mm diameter (usually) elongated nut. All these bits are supplied with the tap. The awkward part is tightening this up while contorted into a kitchen cupboard. I usually, and you can too if confident enough, cut the threaded bar down and then you can use a socket set on the nut, but make sure you don't cut the bar too short or you'll not get the nut on!

I hope this helps you, I have tried to find an online picture of the bits but haven't come up with anything, sorry.

John

Reply to
John

Don't really think that would work on a 'standard' monobloc tap due to the close proximity of the feed pipes to the holding nut. All you usually need are a set of combination (open ended and ring) spanners and a strong back!

John

Reply to
John

"John" wrote

This must be *the* most helpful ng thanks all, I'll buy the new tap tomorrow and see what comes with it, and have a proper look under the old one. I'll no doubt post back if in difficulties! Thanks again Neil

Reply to
Gripper

If it is really tight consider removing sink and then fitting tap,less swearing and back twisting.And good time to replace seal around lip of sink.

Reply to
Alex

I'm having the same thoughts about a replacement combined bath tap and shower head. It doesn't look as though this is replaceable without physically moving the bath.

I've got the usual plumbers tools for accessing tap connectors, but it doesn't look like they will be long enough to do the job, or maybe the space available won't allow them to reach in. Very awkward.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

All the monoblocks I've seem have an 8?mm entry, so have adaptors between this and the 15mm. And sometimes these are solder fittings which make removing difficult. The tap assembly itself is held onto the sink by one nut on a stud which is often well overlength, so hope it hasn't rusted up.

I hate the bl***y things. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman