Replacing Florescent Lights in Garage

I don't mind too much about that little 'deceit' as long as the extra power doesn't lead to premature lamp failure, preferring to presume it's just a consequence of designing a lamp that meets its legal obligation to emit 1500lm 'minimum' at the low end of the "harmonised 230v fiction" tolerance range when run off a 240 to 245v 50Hz mains supply[1] and therefore, emitting some 1800lm[2] as a consequence.

Of course, I could be totally wrong, in which case HB (or their supplier) are risking prosecution for selling goods "Not as described".

[1] I've noticed this 'actual' versus 'claimed' wattage discrepancy on LED lamps for over 5 years now. Every single LED lamp I've checked has shown this 15 to 20 percent higher than claimed wattage measurement effect which I've concluded must be a consequence of testing a 220 to 240 volt rated lamp on a 240v supply. [2] Theoretically 1875lm if we ignore the effect of higher temperature on the LEDs' efficiency.
Reply to
Johnny B Good

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes.

Reply to
ARW

Well that's because you are not wasting light back into the fitting.

Reply to
ARW

Hopefully long enough for the person that has fitted the florry to notice that something is wrong and do something about it not working:-)

I must fit 240V to one end of a florry to see how long it lasts.

Reply to
ARW

ISTR running the filmaments of a 5 footer at either 6v or 12v, so they won't last a moment.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Maybe, the fittings are plain white open tube "batten" type on white ceiling. There is some directionality, the LEDs are mounted on a strip that is run along the "top" side of the diffusion tube, which does a pretty good job. I doubt that the lower "backward" level is enough to double "forward" level.

Bottom line is same percieved light level, half the watts...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Bigclive likes these

I've ordered three to do an aquarium if the spectrum is OK once I measure it.

I will make a dimmer from

and a 555 timer or a nano.

They run off 12V so should be pretty safe but probably need to be cooled (12v fan).

Reply to
dennis

The only LED lamps I've had fail so far have been led chips on ali. Disection to find why they had failed showed that several of the chips had fallen off the ali. Presumably due to over heating, the PSU board also looked as if it was running "quite warm"...

Not had a LED filament fail, yet. But the oldest have only been in service a year but do run 15 hours/day. Being quite keen on the KISS principle, the filament type are a better fit, and if the individual LEDs are also being under run all the better.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice