PC graphics driver

Just got a, new to me, Dell optiplex 760 PC with windows 7 Pro

I want to use it with my Acer AL2016W lcd monitor which has an aspect ratio of 1.6:1 (20" standard widescreen).

None of the resolution options match the ratio I need so when drawing circles, they come out oval shaped.

Graphics are provided by intel Q45/43 chipset and claims to have the latest drivers. Intel driver website does not help, they have nothing more up to date Acer tech support say they can't (wont?) help

I've tried a couple of websites that install a scanner and tell you that all your drivers need updating but when I look down its suggestions there are no new graphics drivers.

Before you say I need linux, save your typing time. I need it to work with windows 7 Pro.

The monitor works fine under XP which offers 1440 x 900.

TIA Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Except 16:9 is standard widescreen, 16:10 is a bit oddball, though not unheard of.

I'd hesitate to call it a "driver" more of a description of the preferred mode for the monitor ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

16:9 is standard widescreen.

Didn't a driver CD(etc) come with the monitor? Or go to the maker's site to look for one suitable for your current OS. But if an old monitor, may no longer be supported.

I've got software here to make a driver for any monitor on this ancient Acorn. I'd guess someone somewhere has done the same for Windows.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Although true there are plenty of 16:10 ratio LCD monitors about.

The native resolution of my HP2475w is 1920x1200 means a small letterbox when it is displaying 16:9

How are you drawing the circles? If using Excel then circles are only circular iff you select a fixed width font - otherwise they get kerned!

There should be a driver for the monitor but selecting a display with the same native graphics resolution as the monitor ought to work (although you might have to tweak aspect ratio if the display has non-square pixels). The devil is always in the details.

I do see some issue on programs that *assume* a 16:9 display.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Am 04.06.2018 um 14:28 schrieb Bob Minchin:

The monitor's manual says, its native resolution is 1680 x 1050.

Assuming you use win7 _32bit_ , is your graphics-driver's version newer than this one?

Matthias Czech

why would anyone draw circles with excel ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

I suggest 16:10 is anything but oddball, 1920x1200 having been the resolution of choice for some years for many of those of us who could not justify 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 monitors. I still have 2 here. -- Robin reply-to address is (intended to be) valid

Reply to
Robin

Have you tried the driver from

where Intel admit your graphics won't natively do 1680x1050. Note health warning.

"When using older Intel® graphics products, the native resolution of some displays, such as 1920x1080, 1680x1050, and 1440x900, is not available in graphics properties. The extended display information data (EDID) does not read properly when connecting to a subset of digital flat panel (DFP) displays.

Intel has drivers to specifically address this issue that can have longer than normal resume times from standby. This solution only works with external displays, and does not address issues with a built-in display. Intel provides these drivers as is, and has not tested, nor provides warranty, to the operation of the driver for this purpose."

Reply to
Robin

Is there are option there to turn off "only show resolutions compatible with my device" or similar?

If that does not hack it, then create your own .inf file for your monitor:

John Rumm

Why not? It has the ability to draw shapes. It is just rather haphazard about the aspect ratio which literally varies with the font chosen.

I had used it to draw a pattern of equilateral triangles in the example that first caught me out but squares and circles are also mangled.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Unfortunately this has been a very long running issue that goes back to the home computers of the 80s, oval circles seemed to be the order of the day then. Have you tried tackling it from the other end, getting a cheapo monitor that is the wayyou want it to be? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Nice idea Brian but this monitor is on a KVM switch connected to another PC which drives it perfectly. I have found the answer which I will now post in the main thread

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Thanks for all your inputs Gents

Got partway with some but no cigar until something I googled pointed me to the control panel where lives "Intel GMA driver" Opening up that gives options to add your own resolution and refresh rates. Dire warnings about " are you sure etc" as it does not seem to check the integrity of the settings that you enter. Anyway I typed them in, clicked add, restart the machine and then right clicking on the screen and bingo the new option appears in the menu. Result.

Hope this might help someone Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Ah. Just the same as if it had been a linux problem then :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's why many peripherals have an installation disc with them. Because generic MS drivers may not be ideal, or even exist.

Surprised you haven't come across this before.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't understand the circles thing. Circles are made with a line superimposed on the grid, not characters. On Excel 2003, circles are not offered, only ovals (which can be made into circles by sizing). The circles may well be distorted if Excel doesn't understand the monitor, but where do fonts come in? Do you mean the default font that would be used for text entries? What if you have different fonts in differen cells?

Reply to
Dave W

Never bought a new monitor and my S/H ones have not come with disks and to date have just worked with XP - my OS of choice. Moving some machines to win 7 has been the start of the problems.

Reply to
Bob Minchin