Replacing door lock barrels

Hi Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the barrel of a Yale lock and still use the original key. My question relates to our block of flats where the lock on the main entrance door is worn and difficult to open. Replacing the lock with a new one and a new key would require issuing

70 new keys to the residents. Thanks
Reply to
chudford

a good locksmith ought to be able to do this. I've certainly had a barrel rebuilt to an existing key. Mind you that was 30+ years ago and the art may have died out.

Reply to
charles

A local locksmith in Cambridge, changed several Yale barrels for me. We had different locks for front, back and garage doors (a real pain).

For an amazingly small amount, and in a short time, he re-barreled two locks, meaning I only need to carry a single key.

I suspect if you take a good key he can make up an appropriate barrel

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chisholm

In article , chudford writes

You often find that the lock and keys have worn in equal amounts so it's best to replace the lot at once (new cylinder & worn key = not working).

You should be able to get a decent discount on multiple keys, shop around and haggle. £1.80 each here in quantity if you stick with Yale:

fred

Any good locksmith can do that for you. Preferably, you have kept one of the original keys that came with the lock to use as a master when cutting spares. If so, give that to the locksmith to make the barrel to.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Why don't you get a code lock?

You can reprogramme them quite easily; handy for when a resident leaves.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer